Next, we are going to see how to install WordPress on a local server with XAMPP step by step in a fairly simple and fast way. After this you can do all the tests you want on your own computer.
XAMPP would be the free version of Apache, which is the one used in almost all the hostings we hire. It is not difficult at all to download and install XAMPP on our computer.
Thanks to this we can carry out all the tests we want. As we are going to see in this tutorial, installing WordPress is very simple and in a few minutes we can carry out any test without exposing our blog.
How to install XAMPP on my PC
The first thing that you will have to do is download XAMPP . It would be a totally free version of the Apache server, which is what we generally see in hostings. This program is capable of creating a server so that you can perform various tests with everything you need: MySQL database, PHP, etc. You can upload everything as you would on any hosting.
- Once downloaded, what you have to do is install it like any other application . You just have to double click on the executable file that you recently downloaded and the wizard will open.
- It is best to leave everything selected by default. Although you can choose the components that you want to be installed, verify that they are the ones you need and click next.
- In one of the screens you can select where you want XAMPP to be installed . In Windows by default it is installed in C: \ xampp.
The XAMPP control panel
- After this we are going to open the XAMPP control panel, as soon as we open it we will have to choose the language between English and German. They are the only ones available.
- Here you will have the option to run the services so that you can start the tests. What you must do is click on the ” Start ” button of the services you need. For example: Apache and MySQL .
- In case you want to stop the server, click on ” Stop ” located in the same place where you pressed ” Start “.
How to install WordPress in XAMPP
- Now we are going to create a database to install our test WordPress. What we will have to do is simply click on the “Admin” button found on the right side of ” MySQL ” in the control panel.
- This would already be the PhpMyAdmin that we are used to from any hosting. Look at the right sidebar and you can see that it says “New” if you click on this option you can create a new database.
- As for the user, it is simply ” root ” and without any password. So in the wp-config file you will have to add the name of the database you created and the root user without any password.
- We then proceed to download WordPress from the official website . A compressed file in .ZIP will be downloaded which you will have to unzip by pressing the right button on it and then “Extract here”.
- These files must be sent to the XAMPP folder located at C: \ xampp \ htdocs \ . You can create a folder for WordPress with that name so that it looks like this: C: \ xampp \ htdocs \ wordpress .
- After this we will have to enter http: // localhost / wordpress from any browser and we will be able to appreciate the classic welcome when we are going to install the CMS.
- Now we will have to put the name of the database that we created previously, the user must be “root” and the password section we leave it blank. The rest of the options leave them as default.
- After this you will have to fill in a little more of the necessary information such as the blog title, the administrator’s username and password, etc.
- Once it is installed, click on the button that says ” Access ” to enter your access data and start using WordPress on your local server.
In this simple way you can install WordPress with XAMPP on your own computer to be able to carry out all the tests you want without exposing your current blog.