In today’s article we are going to see how to install an SSL certificate and force HTTPS on my WordPress site . We will try to explain it quickly and above all in a summarized way so that it is as simple as possible to carry it out.
What is SSL and when should we use it
SSL or Secure Sockets Layer is a technology which creates a secure connection between what is the website we visit and our browser. This means that all the information that we enter on said website is encrypted and secure.
To find out which websites have SSL is quite easy, since next to the web address you will see an icon of a padlock . SSL certificates are essential today for those websites that require us to enter data.
This can be applied both in online stores, payment platforms, bank websites, forums, social networks, etc. In this way, if the website has an SSL certificate, all the data that is entered into it is encrypted and no one can access it.
Websites that have an SSL certificate must transmit data using HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure). A site that does not have an SSL certificate cannot work with HTTPS. In case you try to enter a website without SSL, but with HTTPS, the browser will inform you that there is an error and a message will appear that the connection is not private.
How to install an SSL certificate from cPanel
In many hostings it is possible to talk to their support and they are in charge of activating the certificate for your websites. However, sometimes we must do this ourselves.
For this reason, we always recommend acquiring trustworthy hostings from serious companies, even though they may cost a little more, since we can save ourselves several headaches. To do it yourself, you will have to enter your cPanel.
- After this you will have to go to ” SSL / TLS Manager”.
- Next, you must go to “Certificate Signing Requests (CSR)”.
- Now you will have to click on “Generate, view or delete SSL certificate signing requests”.
- What you will have to do now is complete the fields that you can see: Password, domain, city, state, country and the name of your company .
- Finally, from this you will simply have to click on “Generate” and save everything.
Once we generate the CSR you will have to download the certificate in question to install it on the server. In this step, the hosting support can also help you , in case you want to do it yourself, simply follow these steps:
- Log in with your account and open the certificate from ” SSL Certificates ” this may vary depending on the hosting panel.
- Then look for the option to download.
- Then you will have to select the type of server where you want to install the certificate.
- When you click on download file, you will receive the content by mail in .crt format .
- In your cPanel you will have to click on “SSL / TLS”.
- Followed by that, in “Certificates (CRT)” you will have to go to “Generate, see load or delete SSL certificates”.
- Finally, click on “Upload certificate” to upload the .crt file that we previously downloaded.
How to form HTTPS in my WordPress
- First make sure that you can access your site using HTTPS . To do this, simply type the address of your website in this way: https://direcciondelsitio.com. In case it works, then we will enter the WordPress administration panel .
- From Settings> General you will have to modify the address to add the “S” in HTTP and then you will have to save the changes.
- Once you do, we recommend downloading and installing the Really Simple SSL plugin from the WordPress repository and activating it.
This way you can force the use of HTTPS on your website without any kind of problem. Anyone who tries to log in without HTTPS will quickly be redirected to the secure address.