How to get started with Disney Infinity
What is Disney Infinity?
Disney Infinity is a video game from “Disney Interactive” (through various developers), which launched in 2013. It is a game “Game of Life”, which means that players accept toys in reality and put them on a special base in the virtual world in which they play. Each of the Disney Infinity Base displays has two parts: a play set and a toy box. The game series are mission-driven games around the theme, and the toy box is an open building. One great inspiration for Disney Infinity is the earlier version of “Disney Interactive”, “Toy Story Game” 3. You can enjoy Disney Infinity in single or multiplayer mode.
Everything about the Disney Infinity Play Set
Each Disney Infinity Starter Kit includes at least one playback kit. The first edition includes 3 Play Sets ( The Incredibles , Monsters University and Pirates of the Caribbean) . Game series usually have a story to follow with many side missions and goals, as well as special challenges for single and multiplayer players (driving through hoops, bouncing balls, racing, etc.).
This is true for everyone except the Inside Out Play Set, which is a side action platformer. There is a clear start and end to all game sets, although most players will complete the main game with many other missions. Players can purchase additional Disney Infinity Play kits, but each only works with a starter kit designed to:
- Disney Infinity: Pirates of the Caribbean, Universal University, Phenomenal, Cars, Space Toy Story, Self Ranger
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes: The Avengers(included) , Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man Comics
- Disney Infinity 3.0: Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic(included) , Inside Out, Rise to Empire, Awakening Forces, Battle of Wonders
Disney toy mode
The toy mode is an open “sandbox environment” where players can build their own worlds, scenes and games using a set of tools and special items. They can also use all the characters from the current or previous Disney Infinity set, which allow players to fight Tinker Bell and Darth Vader or race between Lone Ranger (on horseback) and Lightning McQueen.
There is a wide variety of content you can create, including figures and additional characters from movies, walks and attractions from Disney parks and tons of logical “Creativitoys” that connect everything in one experience. They can keep score, mark laps, fireworks, produce random cars or villains, and otherwise allow some creative and exciting interactive designs in the toy box.
In Disney Infinity 2.0, we also saw the addition of “Interior”. Players can design their own house with themed rooms and more games. The interior is filled with a wide range of characters from Disney, Picard, Marvel and Star Wars, depending on the version of the game you play.
Boxes with discs and games
Each version of Disney Infinity has a set of Toy Box discs with special features. They can give additional powers to certain characters, bring a vehicle or a weapon to the world, or change the environment in some way. The first two versions of Disney Infinity have their Toy Box discs in blind packages, which makes it difficult to assemble kits. Disney Infinity 3.0 has Toy Box discs in special themed packages.
With Disney Infinity 2.0, we saw the addition of Toy Box Games. These mini-games are designed using the same types of tools and content that you have access to in the toy box. They expand the gameplay, but also serve as inspiration for those who want to create their own content. The toy game is designed to work with the corresponding version of Disney Infinity.
So which version of Disney Infinity am I buying?
Starting with Disney Infinity can feel a little overwhelming. Do you choose the latest version? Start with the original? Do you only go with a toy box? Well, of course, it’s really up to you. But here are some things to keep in mind:
- You will be able to use all the symbols in the latest game set, but not in the original. If you want to use Star Wars and Marvel characters, you’ll want Disney Infinity 3.0.
- Play kits are only compatible with their version. If you want to try out the car kit, you will need the original game.
- If you don’t care about missions and goals, you might enjoy designing the most with the toy box. You can add game nodes later.
- Alternatively, if you have family members who are goal-oriented, they could struggle with the open toy box mode. Make sure you get a set of games.
- Disney Infinity 3.0 has the most extensive lessons through the Toy Center. Start there if you want a lot of guidance.
- Disney Infinity 2.0 (Marvel) Play Set are the most linear and restrictive (except for Inside Out). If you want to explore between missions, go with the original or Disney Infinity 3.0.
- The characters can only be in the game set for which they are intended (as long as they are welcome in toy mode). You can’t play Hoyt’s Mickey Mouse. Keep in mind that many of the characters (especially Disney Originals) do not have a corresponding Play Set. You will have to design your own.
Disney Infinity platforms
Disney Infinity is available on most major platforms, with the exception of the Wii, which has only a slightly soaked version of the original game. There are also PC, iOS, and Android versions that are free, but require in-app purchases for additional characters or code from the purchase of real characters.