Eliminate lice and nits forever with these remedies, in just a few minutes you can get rid of the annoying itching
There are many ways to remove nits and lice , some more effective than others. There are both commercial treatments and natural remedies . Here we tell you how they are spread, how to eliminate them and how to keep the head of lice clean.
According to the Spanish Association of Primary Care Pediatrics , “lice are very difficult to see” and they continue, “in fact the most frequent thing is to visualize the eggs, called nits, which are located one centimeter from the root of the hair”. The spread of lice is known as ‘pediculosis’.
Table of Contents:
- Commercial remedies
- Natural medicine
- End of treatment
- Frequent questions
How are lice spread?
Lice feed on the blood they get through the scalp. Outside of the head, a louse does not survive beyond 24 hours. There are many ways to get lice, but the most common are:
- The school:if we hear of an outbreak of lice, we must protect our children’s heads with preventive lotions. The Spanish Society of Family and Community Pharmacy defends that it is not enough to make pigtails or pick it up, but rather that it would be necessary to shave to zero to prevent the nits from being implanted. From here we do not believe that it is necessary to get to that point.
- Sitting with their heads together: the little ones usually have a lot of physical contact, either playing or resting, the best we can do is use a preventive shampoo when our child gets home.
- Avoid sleeping in the same bedand sharing brushes or towels. Wash them at 40 degrees or wait a reasonable time (more than 24 hours) to use them.
What remedies can I use?
Whether they are commercial or natural remedies, you should always follow the guideline of doing two treatments spaced a week apart. After the first treatment, for prevention, it must always be repeated after 7 days, since the nits that have been opened will have released lice, but these are not adults and they will not have laid eggs (nits) yet. Two treatments within a week is usually sufficient if applied well.
“The hair should not be washed before applying the lotions, since the fat facilitates the fixation of the active principle. The washing will be carried out after the indicated contact time has elapsed and can be done with normal shampoo or with pediculicide shampoo to complete the treatment ”, they point out from the Spanish Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (AEDV) .
- Filvit : this shampoo is very effective and you will simply have to apply it to your hair by rubbing your hair and scalp.
- Neositrin– Spray Gel, Treatment to Eliminate Lice and Nits – It is a new product that is sweeping among Amazon users for its high effectiveness.
- Treatmentkits: treatment kits are usually the most complete products, since we will have shampoo and lotion to eliminate them and to make them not appear again.
- Special combs: after using the shampoo and treatment kits, we will simply have to comb to remove the nits and dead lice.
Natural remedies to remove lice and nits
Some chemicals in lice treatments can cause dandruff, burning, redness and irritation, which is why some people prefer natural remedies.
One of the most effective is using apple cider vinegar . You have to wash your hair well and in the shower spray it from the roots with apple cider vinegar. Leave it to act for 10 minutes and wash again with plenty of soap. Finally, you have to pass the fine-tipped comb or nit to remove the dead lice.
Apple cider vinegar also contains substances that weaken the glue that nits stick with. Carrying out this treatment, which can be repeated every two days, for 8 days, the lice and most of the nits will disappear.
Virgin olive oil
After applying the apple cider vinegar and before washing, it is a good practice and it makes it much easier to remove the nits to apply virgin olive oil to all the hair and scalp and leave it to act by wrapping the head with plastic wrap for about 30 minutes. Virgin olive oil, in addition to leaving the hair very soft, dissolves the glue with which the nits adhere to the hair, and they come out with the nit more easily.
But be careful because there are natural remedies that do not work at all. One of the most widespread hoaxes is that the Tea Tree has properties as a lice repellent. This data has no basis. It is enough to verify that no commercial product with tea tree in its formula does not specify anything in writing about its supposed effectiveness against lice.
The hardest thing is to kill the nits
If the infestation has been very large and time is available, it is ideal that after finishing the treatment and once the fine barbed comb has been passed after the apple cider vinegar and virgin olive oil, the manual extraction of the the nits one by one. Unfortunately, the so-called ” nit ” (fine- toothed comb) does not completely drag them out and a manual inspection is always necessary to eliminate them all.
So you have to arm yourself with patience , and divide your hair into zones (held with rubber bands or clothespins) and go over all the roots. Once a nit is located, clamp the hair where it is with the thumbnail against the tip of another finger and firmly drag it to the end to release it.
Only in this way will we ensure that there are no eggs that can hatch and re- infest the hair.
Of course, if the instructions of the commercial treatments have been followed to the letter, the nits that we will remove will all be empty, since they open first and their nymphs (young lice) will have died with the second phase of the treatment .
What do I do at the end of the lice treatment?
It is recommended that at the end of the treatment to be more effective:
- Avoid using a normal shampoo for two to three days.
- Remove all dead lice and nits with the comb at 12 o’clock.
- Check for 1 week if they have reappeared.
- Soak used combs for 10 minutes in boiling water or put them in a tightly closed bag in the freezer for a day.
Frequently asked questions about the spread of lice:
Do head lice transmit disease?
Head lice should not be considered a public health threat as they do not transmit any type of disease. They are simply annoying because they are itchy and cause sleep loss. Sometimes itching can cause the person to scratch excessively, making a secondary skin infection more likely from the friction of the nails and the dirt they contain.
Can head lice be transmitted by sharing sports helmets or headphones?
It is unlikely, but yes.
Can head lice be spread by wigs or hair extensions?
If no more than 48 hours have passed since its use, yes.
Can head lice be spread by swimming?
There is evidence that head lice can survive underwater for several hours, but it is not likely that they are transmitted through swimming pool water.
Can an airborne infection occur?
No, lice do not have wings.
Do lice prefer long hair to short hair?
No, they do not have a preference, but the more hair, the more likely it is to be contagious.
Do lice prefer brown hair to blonde?
No, there is no evidence to support this claim.
Are lice spread to adults?
Yes, but in a very low probability. They live best on the infant scalp.
Do lice live indefinitely on sofas, blankets, rugs, bedspreads …?
No, they die in less than 24 hours away from a human.