Before starting to explain about the article to be developed, it is necessary to expose some concepts necessary for understanding the subject, such as: Hard Drive, MacOS and Operating System.
At the computing level, the Hard Disk or hard disk is an instrument for storing the contents of a computer as well as the programs, using a magnetic recording system for these digital data. Capacity is measured in GB or gigabytes.
In 2001, MacOS was born , belonging to the company Apple Computer Inc. This operating system has several versions . However, over time it has undergone changes.
An operating system is what allows you to carry out activities on computers. MacOS is installed on all computers of the Apple company. This means that both the software and the hardware are well compatible.
Advantages of owning a Mac computer
- To install the programs is done in a simple way , as well as their uninstallation.
- Its software, already pre-installed from the manufacturer, does not slow down the system by processing information quickly.
- In addition, the Apple company has a very good customer service , warranty and stores to take the equipment to repair.
- Their equipment is of high quality with the highest customer satisfaction rates in the market.
Free up hard drive storage space automatically or manually
- The MacOS Sierra or later computer has the optimized storage functions and can free up the hard disk space automatically .
- Another way is manually , without having to use the tools of MacOS Sierra or later.
Automatically free up space:
- The first thing is to keep the Safari browser updated . And look for duplicates or copies of downloads .
- Also remove any executable program installers you have used.
- Delete dictionaries, languages or old sources , if you do not use.
- Likewise, the erasure of memory or cache storage, including cookies and any unnecessary data, including all pop-up advertising .
Free space manually:
- Delete movies, music, or TV shows , as these take up a lot of space on your computer.
- The downloads folder can guide you to see which files are no longer necessary and you can move them to the Trash, which must later be emptied.
- You can also transfer the files to storage devices such as CD, DVD, Blue Ray, Pendrive or external hard disk, where they can be saved without problem.
- Likewise, delete both unwanted emails and those you don’t need and later, again delete these elements that you have deleted from the mailbox.
- Finally, compress the files .
Free up storage space on your hard drive through iCloud
This is another way to free up space stored on your hard drive and save it in the cloud through iCloud for MacOS, a service with multiple advantages . In this way, when you need it, you can save photos, movies, files in general that you no longer use and that are very large.
- It is important to clarify that depending on the storage plan you have , that will be the available space and if you exceed the 5 GB limit, you can buy more space to free up your computer.
- The first thing to do is discover what storage space we have available on our Mac.
- To do this, we click on “Storage”, then on “Manage” and then “Storage Management” ; The latter presents some recommendations such as: Store in iCloud, Optimize Storage, Empty the Trash Automatically and Reduce Clutter.
To conclude, we have seen that freeing up space on your hard drive on your MacOS can be done in several ways, for free because they are configurations that the system has, or with iCloud paid plans that offer up to 2 TB.
It is also important to free these spaces because this way the hard disk is kept only with what it needs to use on a daily basis. Preventing it from being slowed down by information overload.