Through the following tutorial we will teach you How to format a hard drive from Windows with CMD? – Step by Step , something especially useful in the event that you have serious problems with your computer, read the following information carefully.
What is the use of formatting a hard drive with CMD?
Certainly, today’s computing world stands out for offering excellent options with very easy-to-use interfaces. However, most people shy away from command consoles, since they find them very complicated to use.
Even so, command consoles can be very useful in the event of problems with programs. While with Ubuntu it is recommended to learn to use the terminal , in the case of Windows we need to know the command console, also called CMD. With this tool, it is possible to make changes to the system.
With CMD it is also possible to format storage units, something especially useful in case you have problems with your computer. It is a process that might seem complicated, but following the proper guide it is very easy to do.
How to format a hard drive from Windows with CMD? – Step by Step
The formatting process with the Windows console might seem complicated, but it is not. In any case, it will be necessary to follow a series of steps to the letter. To do this, carefully read the following guide, with which you will learn how to format a hard drive using CMD .
- The first thing you should do is open the Windows command window , also known as CMD. To do this, just go to the start section and write “CMD”.
- Once you have found the CMD console, right click on it and then on the option “run as administrator” . After this process, the console will be displayed on the screen through which you can make multiple system configurations.
- To carry out the formatting procedure, we will use the “Diskpart” tool, for which you must just type “diskpart” on the command line, after that press the “Enter” key.
- As you will see, the word “DISKPART” will now be displayed on the screen , which means that you are using this program within the commands. The next step is to type “list disk” and press the “Enter” key again.
- After the previous step, the installed storage units will be displayed on the screen. As you can see, each one is assigned according to a number, the way you can recognize them is through their total size.
- Once you have properly identified the hard drive you want to format, type the following “select disk n” (note that the n must be replaced by the hard drive number) and press “Enter.”
- The system will notify you that the hard drive has been selected successfully, now you just have to type the command “clean” and press the Enter key again.
- In the previous step you will have successfully removed the hard drive, anyway, it is necessary to format it, for this type “create partition primary” and press Enter.
- It will be necessary to observe the partition that we have just created, so write the following command “list partition” and press the “Enter” key again.
- You must choose the partition created, type “select partition n” (remember that the letter n represents the number of the partition) press “Enter”.
- Now type the word “active” and press the “Enter” key again.
- It is time to properly format the drive, for this we will use the command “format fs = NTFS” , press the “Enter” key again. By doing this, the hard drive will begin to format, a process that could take a while, wait until it is finished.
Using the process shown above you can format storage drives very easily from the Command Prompt. This will delete all the information on the drive. However, you can recover deleted files after doing this without any inconvenience.