- 5 quick solutions to fix VPN error 734
- How can I fix VPN error 734?
- Method 1: Uncheck Negotiate Multilink for Single Link Connections
- Method 2: Select the Allow Unsecured Password option
- Method 3: Adjust the protocol settings for the dial-up connection (PPP)
- Method 4: Fix Registry Conflicts
- Method 5: Disable Windows Defender Firewall
5 quick solutions to fix VPN error 734
Error 734 is an error that occurs for some users who try to use their VPNs with PPP dial-up connections. The error message states, » Error 734: The PPP link control protocol has been canceled. »Consequently, a VPN connection cannot be established.
That error can often be caused by a misconfigured PPP dial-up connection. Below are some Windows resolutions that can fix error 734 for most users.
How can I fix VPN error 734?
Method 1: Uncheck Negotiate Multilink for Single Link Connections
This is Microsoft’s official resolution for error 734. Error 734 can often be caused by the Negotiate multilink setting for single-link connections . Therefore, disabling multilink can often fix this problem. Follow the guidelines below to disable multilink for single link connections.
- Press Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to start Run.
- Enter cpa.cpl in Run and click OK to open the Control Panel applet shown directly below.
- Right-click on the required dial-up connection and select Properties .
- Select the Options tab .
- Press the DPI button to open the DPI Settings window.
- Uncheck the Negotiate multilink for single link connections option in the PPP Settings window.
- Then press the OK buttons in both windows.
Method 2: Select the Allow Unsecured Password option
The error message Error 734 also appears in Windows XP when weak passwords are not enabled. Therefore, selecting the Allow Unsecured Password option is another potential resolution (for XP users). Here’s how XP users can select that option.
- Open the Start menu and select Settings > Network and Dial-up Connections .
- Then right-click on the required dial-up connection and select the Properties option .
- Next, select the Security tab, which includes a Validate my identity drop-down menu as follows .
- Select Allow weak password from the Validate my identity drop-down menu.
- Press the OK button to exit.
Method 3: Adjust the protocol settings for the dial-up connection (PPP)
- Some users have confirmed that deselecting most protocol settings can fix error 734. To do this, open the Run accessory.
- Enter ncpa.cpl in Run and press the Return key.
- Then right-click on the dial-up modem and select Properties .
- Select the Security tab in the Properties window.
- Select Allow these protocols radio button.
- Then clear all the check boxes for the protocol except Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2).
- Windows XP users will need to click Advanced Custom Settings on the Security> Settings tab , then clear all check boxes except MS-CHAP v2 .
- Also, make sure that the Type of VPN is configured for Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) .
- Click on the OK button .
Method 4: Fix Registry Conflicts
Error 743 can also be caused by registry conflicts. Therefore, cleaning the registry with a registry cleaning utility can fix error 743. This is how users can clean the registry with CCleaner freeware.
- Click Free Download on CCleaner Page to download the software installation wizard.
- Open the setup wizard to add CCleaner to Windows.
- Start CCleaner and click Register .
- Select all check boxes in the registry.
- Click the Troubleshoot button to analyze the log.
- Press the Fix Selected Issues button to correct the registry.
- A dialog box opens asking users if they want to back up their logs. Select Yes to back up the registry if you prefer, and then click Save in the Save As window .
- Then press the Fix All Selected Issues button to repair all issues.
Method 5: Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Also, turn off Windows Defender Firewall to make sure it’s not blocking connections. Users can do this on all Windows platforms by entering firewall.cpl in the Run Open text box.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open the firewall settings below.
- Click the two option buttons Turn off Windows Defender Firewall to turn off WDF.
- Press the OK button to exit.
So error 734 is more of a dial-up connection error than a VPN problem. Some of the above resolutions may fix error 734 so that users can use their VPNs with PPTP.