- 7 steps to fix Avast SecureLine VPN connection problems
- What to do if the Avast SecureLine VPN connection fails
- Solution 1: Check your network connection
- Solution 2: Select an alternate server location
- Solution 3: Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Solution 4: Disable third-party antivirus software
- Solution 5: Closure of conflicting VPN services
- Solution 6: Check your Avast SecureLine subscription
- Solution 7: Reinstall Avast SecureLine
7 steps to fix Avast SecureLine VPN connection problems
Avast SecureLine VPN is client software that typically connects to Avast VPN servers. However, sometimes SecureLine may fail to establish a connection. An error message » SecureLine VPN connection failed » will appear when SecureLine cannot establish a connection. These are some potential resolutions for setting up an Avast SecureLine VPN connection.
What to do if the Avast SecureLine VPN connection fails
Solution 1: Check your network connection
First of all, check that your internet connection is fine without SecureLine VPN. Therefore, turn off SecureLine VPN. Next, open some websites in your browser.
If you need to repair your general connection, see the Windows Internet Connections troubleshooter. That might fix the connection, or at least provide some resolutions to fix it. Follow the instructions below to open the troubleshooter.
- Open Run with Windows keyboard shortcut + R.
- Enter Control Panel and click OK to open the window below.
- Click Troubleshooting to open the Control Panel applet shown directly below
- Click See All to open the list of troubleshooters below.
- Right-click Internet Connections and select Run as administrator to open the troubleshooter window.
- Click Advanced and select Apply repairs automatically if that option is not selected.
- Click Next to start the troubleshooter and select the option Troubleshoot my internet connection.
Solution 2: Select an alternate server location
Avast SecureLine does not have a large number of servers for its millions of users. Therefore, it is possible that the server you are trying to connect to is overloaded. Thus, connecting to an alternate server location could fix the SecureLine VPN connection.
To do this, click the Change Location button in the main Avast window. Then select another server location to connect to.
Solution 3: Disable Windows Defender Firewall
Firewalls can interfere with VPN connections. VPN clients must be on the Windows Defender Firewall exclusion list. Therefore, disabling the Windows Defender Firewall could repair the Avast SecureLine connection. Users can turn off the WDF as follows.
- Open the Run accessory in Windows.
- Enter firewall.cpl in Run and click OK to open the Windows Defender Firewall Control Panel applet.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open the options shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Select both the Disable Windows Defender Firewall options .
- Press the OK button .
Solution 4: Disable third-party antivirus software
Third-party antivirus software can also block VPN connections. Therefore, disabling third-party antivirus software before connecting with the VPN may fix the problem. Generally, users can disable antivirus software by right-clicking the icons in the system tray of the antivirus utilities and selecting a disable or disable button. Alternatively, users can also configure exceptions that exclude their VPN clients from antivirus software firewalls.
Solution 5: Closure of conflicting VPN services
SecureLine disconnected may be due to conflicting VPN services. Those who also use other VPN clients will need to make sure that there are no other VPN services running. One way to ensure that there are no conflicting services or software is to clean the Windows boot. This is how users can clean up Windows startup.
- Right-click the Start button and click Run to open that accessory.
- Open the System Configuration utility by entering msconfig in Run and clicking OK .
- Click the Selective startup option button on the General tab
- Clear the Load startup items check box .
- Select the options Load system services and Use original boot configuration .
- Click the Services tab.
- Select the Hide all Microsoft services option to exclude those services
- Then select the Disable all button to deselect third-party services.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons and then click Restart to restart Windows.
Solution 6: Check your Avast SecureLine subscription
Avast SecureLine will not connect for users with invalid or expired subscriptions. Therefore, users should check their SecureLine subscriptions. To do this, click Settings , Subscription , SecureLine VPN , and Validity within the Avast software. Emails from Avast can also tell users if they need to renew their subscriptions.
Solution 7: Reinstall Avast SecureLine
Reinstalling the Avast SecureLine VPN software is another potential resolution to your » connection failed « error . Then users can at least be sure that they have the latest version of the client software. Follow the instructions below to reinstall Avast SecureLine.
- Open the Control Panel in Windows.
- Click Programs and Features to open the Control Panel applet in the snapshot below.
- Select Avast SecureLine VPN and click Uninstall .
- Press the Yes button in the UAC dialog to confirm.
- Click Yes again in the software uninstaller window.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling the software.
- Press the Download for PC button on the Avast SecureLine page to download the installer. Then open that installer to reinstall the software.
- To remove the SecureLine VPN component of Avast Antivirus, open that software window and click Menu > Settings .
- Then select the Components tab on the left of the window.
- Click SecureLine VPN and select the Uninstall Component option .
- Press the OK button to provide additional confirmation.
- Then click on the options Restart computer > Restart now .
- Users can reinstall the SecureLine component by clicking Install Component in the SecureLine VPN panel within the Avast Antivirus software.
These troubleshooting tips can fix SureLine VPN connections. This article on VPN includes some more general resolutions for setting up VPN connections. Windows 7 users can also refer to this entry for more VPN fixes.