Mac address is required when you need to configure a router or create a network list of your gadgets to access the Internet. With it, you can even restrict access to the network of some devices. Here are 5 easy ways to find out your Mac address on PC , MacOS and Linux .
How to find out the mac address through the command line
A great way for all versions of Windows. Despite the OS differences, the method is working.
The activation mechanism is shown in the table:
|Action||What is it for|
|The Win + R keys are clamped||The “Run” prompt is invoked|
|Enter CMD in the window||The program launches the “Command Line”|
|Drive ipconfig / all||The terminal is programmed to request to show all network connections|
The request is confirmed by pressing Enter on the keyboard . Then the data of the network devices with which the computer works appears. The mac-address is in the line “Physical address”.
It is noteworthy : those who work via Wi-Fi should remember that the router and connected gadgets have different addresses. This is necessary so that the system can distinguish between 2 devices in its “mini-network”.
Interesting article: The computer does not see the hard drive: what is the “root of evil”
View the mac address in the Windows interface
If you are afraid of “pushing something wrong and breaking it,” you should use this method. It works with many operating systems, from Win XP to modern Windows 10 . So everyone who owns a PC with the Internet will be able to find their poppy. You can view it as follows:
- press Win + R;
- drive in [msinfo32] (even on 64-bit systems);
- select “Components” → “Network” → “Adapter”.
In the right side of the window, information is available about all network adapters of this PC, along with Macs.
Through the list of connections in Windows
You need to follow the next instruction.
- Clamp Win + R.
- Drive in ncpa.cpl.
- Right-click on the current connection.
- Designate “Properties”.
- Go to “Connect via” and find your network card.
- Bring the mouse arrow to it.
A pop-up cloud with the desired poppy will immediately appear.
Read: Assembling a system unit with your own hands in 10 steps: a complete guide
Find out the mac address in MacOS
Owners of macOS computers have several mechanics for finding a network address. The easiest way to do this is through the system settings.
To do this, you need to take the following steps.
- In the main menu, find the item “System settings”.
- A window will open where you need to select Wi-Fi (if the connection to the router) and Ethernet (if it goes through the wire).
- Click on “Advanced”.
- Then tap on “Ethernet” (to find the computer’s network card) or “Hardware” (for Wi-Fi).
- Activate “Ethernet identifier” or “MAC-address” (depending on what is being looked for – a computer network card or a router).
The second way to find a network card on MacOS devices is through the terminal.
The following manipulations are done:
- Open the Terminal application in the Launchpad.
- Enter ipconfig and hold down Enter.
- In the new window, find the ether line, where the address will be.
Educational program: How you can connect the system unit to Wi-Fi: a quick guide in 5 sections
Find out the mac address in Linux
Linux is famous for its openness to changes, but you have to “pay” for it by the fact that many familiar actions will have to be literally “programmed” through the “Terminal”. Finding a mac address is no exception.
To find it on Linux, you need to do the following.
- Open a terminal (via the combination Ctrl + Alt + T).
- In the command line, write a request from the screen (if the computer is currently running under the root account, then you do not need to enter “sudo”)
- Enter the superuser password.
- The display will show information about the currently available interfaces. The network address was added after HWaddr.
In reality, calculating your poppy address on Windows (XP, 7,8,10) and other OS is a matter of several minutes. The main thing is not to be afraid to get into “Terminals” and write basic queries.