The error with the ERR_GFX_STATE code in Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the most common among users. It appears only for players on computers. The message says: “Game error. Please reboot and restart the game “- in general, no sensible information is indicated. We have learned from some sources that the reason for the Vulkan API is a low resource consumption cross-platform API for games with 3D graphics. Judging by the reviews, this is not only the case, as some players can run RDR2, but the game itself is not included. The computer can either freeze completely or even restart. Below we list all the ways that users have positive feedback on the forums.
- How to fix RDR 2 ERR_GFX_STATE error?
- Solution 1: clean startup
- Solution 2: delete SGA files
- Solution 3: disable overclocking
- Solution 4: set the startup option
- Solution 5: update or reinstall drivers
How to fix RDR 2 ERR_GFX_STATE error?
A small diagnostics will be very helpful in correcting the error – to see if there is any influence of third-party services on the game. A clean start of the operating system will help with this, it can help by itself, so the actions are recorded in the first method. It is also worth trying to simply restart the computer, this will eliminate the likelihood of accidental system crashes.
Solution 1: clean startup
An incredibly common cause of problems is conflicts, when several programs cannot get along with each other in the operating system. To confirm or exclude this breakdown, you need to perform a clean startup of Windows 10.
Here’s how you can do it:
- With the Win + R keys, you need to start the “Run” line.
- Insert msconfig into the active window and press Enter.
- Go to the “Services” tab, select “Hide all Microsoft services”.
- Activate all items and select “Disable all”.
- Open the “Startup” tab and go to the “Task Manager”.
- Right click on each program and select Disable.
- To restart a computer.
If now RDR 2 will start without problems, the reason is that the game conflicts with some program. It is worth turning them on in turn and watching how the application reacts to them. As soon as the problematic software is found by the elimination method, a choice will appear: remove, update it, or configure it accordingly.
Solution 2: delete SGA files
SGA data files are used by all Relic Entertainment PC games. Mostly they contain various types of data, such as graphic content, maps, audio, game scenarios. They are easily recognized by their characteristic .sga extension. These files are often compressed. We managed to find out that deleting some SGA files helps in fixing the ERR_GFX_STATE error in RDR 2. Apparently, the matter is in some kind of damage to this data.
What do we have to do:
- Press the combination Win + E and in the explorer go to the “Documents” section.
- Go along the path Rockstar Games-> Red Dead Redemption 2-> Settings.
- There is a lot of SGA data in the final directory with files, you need to select all of them and delete.
- Reload the game and check if the error appears.
Solution 3: disable overclocking
It is known that RDR 2 does not work well on many computers where CPU or video card overclocking is enabled. Operating at higher frequencies, the PC encounters this error. Many users noted that after restoring the nominal operating frequencies through MSI Afterburner, the game started to work more stably.
Solution 4: set the startup option
With the help of special arguments, it is possible to influence the type of launch of the game and some of its settings. In this case, you need to do the following:
- Launch the Rockstar Games program and go to Settings.
- On the My Installed Games tab, select Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Click on Add Launch Options and enter –ignorpipelinecachein the text box .
Solution 5: update or reinstall drivers
This can be done automatically in Device Manager, but it may not work. Ideally, you need to download the drivers for the video card from the manufacturer’s website and just install them. This will give us the latest version of the video driver for sure.
Perhaps these are all the actions that help fix the ERR_GFX_STATE error in Red Dead Redemption 2, which are known today. If you know of other solutions, or if you fixed the crash with one of the previous methods, write about it in the comments to help the next readers.