Last week, Apple released the first beta of iOS 15 to everyone. This means that anyone can install the test version of the update – just register in the early access program and download the active beta profile. To learn how to do it, I told here . True, I immediately explained why you shouldn’t rush to install the beta version of iOS 15, but there were many more people who read the instructions. Therefore, the question of how to rollback from iOS 15 was asked much more often. Well, we are dealing with this as well.
Upgraded to iOS 15 and now want to roll back? Nothing could be easier
Стоит ли устанавливать бету iOS 15. Всё, что нужно знать
In fact, the instructions for returning from iOS 15 to iOS 14 are relevant for those who have installed the beta for developers, and for those who are content with a public build. So it doesn’t matter which method of installing iOS 15 you used at the time. The rollback technique described below is universal.
How to enable recovery mode on iPhone
First, you need to learn how to enter your device into recovery mode.
But, before we go directly to the rollback instructions, we need to figure out how to put the device into recovery mode . In simple terms, it is needed in order to make the iPhone or iPad understand that it will be forced to change the version of the operating system. But since the method of entering this mode differs from device to device, let us dwell on it in more detail.
Важно: на некоторых устройствах сначала запускается перезагрузка. Очень важно не отпускать клавиши, которые вы удерживаете, на этом моменте. Продолжайте удерживать их, и устройство перейдёт из состояния перезагрузки в режим восстановления.
- iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, then press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the power button until the restart begins. Continue holding the power button until the tablet enters recovery mode.
- iPhone 8 and later: Press and quickly release the volume up button, then press and quickly release the volume down button. After that, press and hold the power button until you see the recovery mode screen.
- iPhone 7, 7 Plus, and iPod Touch 7: Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
- iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE, or iPod Touch 6: Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time. Hold them until you see the recovery mode screen.
How to go back to a previous version of iOS
When I described the method of updating to iOS 15 beta 1, I pointed out at the very first point that you should keep a backup copy of your device. You need it not only in order to restore iOS 14 , but also to save all the data that was in the memory of your device at the time of the update. You haven’t neglected that recommendation, have you? I hope no.
- Launch Finder or iTunes on Mac (depending on macOS version);
- Connect iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to Mac via cable;
- Put the connected device into recovery mode;
Recovery is what we need (yes, I still have iTunes)
- The Mac screen will ask if you want to restore the device – agree;
- Wait for the recovery process to complete and return to iOS 14;
- When reconfiguring your device, restore the most recent backup.
Какие устройства получат iOS 15. Полный список
In general, there is nothing complicated in the recovery process. The only thing that is important to do in advance is to take care of saving a backup. Do not be her, you will have a little harder. No, this will not affect the recovery process in any way. It’s just that when you set up your device again, it will be as clean as it was right after you bought it. No data will be saved and you will have to re-accumulate the entire data set. And this is not so convenient.