Twitter does not allow you to delete all tweets (also called tweets) at once. However, there are some online tools that offer the option of deleting posts en masse and zeroing publications on the social network.
In our walkthrough we will use the site TweetDelete. The process can be done both on the PC and on the phone, using the browser of your choice.
Before deleting all tweets
Before deleting your tweets at once, we recommend that you save your publication history. So, if you regret it, you can review everything you’ve already posted on the platform. You can request the file through the smartphone app and the website.
- On the PCfollow the path: icon → Settings and Privacy → Your account → Download a file with your data . In the Twitter data section , click the Request file button .
- On a cell phone, the path is similar. Touch your profile picture → Settings and privacy → Account → Your Twitter data. You may be asked to enter your password. Under Twitter data , go to Request file .
The service will send a message when your file is ready. You can only download it through the app or by email, if you have a verified email address associated with your account.
Only after receiving and downloading the file with your data do we recommend that you delete all tweets. But, if you believe you have nothing to lose and don’t want to wait, proceed to the next step.
Now, yes: goodbye, tweets!
Now that you’ve downloaded your history (or not!), You can say goodbye to your old publications. TweetDelete allows you to delete up to 3200 posts at a time, from the most recent. That is, if the defined period of time has more than 3200 posts, the newest ones are deleted and the oldest ones will be kept.
- Open your preferred browser and access the TweetDeletewebsite ;
- Go to the Sing in with Twitter button;
- Enter your access data on the social network. Before clicking Authorize application, we suggest you read the permissions you will give if you agree , listed just below the button;
- On the next screen, you can now define the posts to be deleted. In Age of tweets to delete, choose the time that the tweets you want to delete were posted. The options and their respective translations are as follows:
- All my Tweets;
- Tweets older than one week( Tweets older than one week );
- Tweets older than two weeks( Tweets older than two weeks);
- Tweets older than one month( Tweets older than one month);
- Tweets older than two months;
- Tweets older than three months;
- Tweets older than six months;
- Tweets older than one year( Tweets older than one year ).
- In Only tweets containing this word / phrase, you can create a filter if you want to delete only those tweets that contain certain words or phrases. This, of course, within the time interval determined in the previous field. If you want to delete all tweets, just leave this field blank;
- Complete the process in Delete my Tweets! .
The service will scan and, at the end, will inform you how many tweets there were and how many were deleted.
Is it risky to use third party apps to delete my tweets?
By associating your social network account with third party applications and services, the user is giving developers access to data and permissions. Although it is not a fun task, it is always recommended to check what permissions you are giving an app. Especially if you are going to link it to an email account or social network.
Therefore, if the program asks for access to resources that have nothing to do with its function, it is good to be alert. For example, why would an image editor need to access your contacts? TweetDelete makes it very clear, before giving permission, what powers it is granting to the service.
This does not mean that developers will do whatever they are allowed to do. Especially when it comes to serious and reputable companies. A good alternative is to let TweetDelete do its job and then revoke the permissions given.
Just go to the Applications and Twitter sections page , go to Connected applications and find TweetDelete. Then, click Revoke access .
Still, the safest way to delete your Tweets turns out to be the native one. In that case, it is good to have time and patience to exclude one by one.
How to delete tweets natively
If, by chance, you prefer to avoid exposing your data and delete tweets in the manner allowed by Twitter, you should not face any difficulties.
- Access your profile. On the computer, click on the little doll icon ( ). On your smartphone, tap on your profile picture and then on Profile;
- In the tweet you want to delete, go to the down arrow icon ( );
- Choose to Deleteor Delete Tweet ;
- Confirm with Deleteand you’re done.
It is necessary to repeat the process on all other posts that you want to delete. Although repetitive, it takes a few seconds to delete each tweet.
What happens to deleted Tweets
Twitter explains that deleted Tweets are removed from your account, from the timeline of people who follow you and from the social network search results. The RTs of deleted tweets are also deleted.
However, if a user has copied and pasted your publication to retweet as a new post, the platform is unable to do anything.