If you need to change the behavior of the laptop when closing the lid, for example, to prevent it from going to sleep, you can do this in Windows 10 in the same ways as in previous versions of the system, but a novice user may not know the location of the necessary settings.
In this tutorial for beginners on how to change the action when closing the laptop lid and additional information on the specifics of how these parameters work. Related article: How to prevent a laptop from turning off when you close the lid, for example, when displaying an image on an external monitor .
Changing the action when closing the laptop lid
The settings for the action when closing the laptop lid are located in the “Power” section of the control panel. There are several ways to open Power Options in Windows 10:
- Open the control panel (for this you can use the search on the taskbar or press the Win + Rkeys on the keyboard, type control and press Enter), then switch the “View” item to large or small icons and open the “Power supply” item.
- Press the Win + Rkeys on your keyboard, type cpl and press Enter.
- Right-click on the battery icon in the notification area and select “Power supply” from the context menu.
After opening the power scheme settings window, to change the action when closing the laptop lid, just follow these simple steps:
- On the left, click on the item “Action when closing the lid.”
- In the “When closing the lid” item, select the actions that will be performed (or indicate “No action required”) for this event during battery power and when powered from the mains.
- Click the “Save changes” button.
As you can see, everything is very simple, but sometimes, if the considered settings do not work correctly, you should take into account some nuances:
- The settings applied usually start working after Windows has been loaded.What I mean: if you turn on the laptop and close it on the logo screen before the system boots, then it may go into sleep or hibernation mode, regardless of the settings.
- Even if you specified “No action required,” the laptop can continue to go into sleep mode because the time to go is set and operates regardless of the lid closing options. You can configure the time to enter sleep mode in the same place, in the power options, by selecting the “Configure transition to sleep mode” item on the left. Read more: Hibernate Windows 10.
- Sometimes the power management related functions may not work properly if the original chipset drivers, power management and system utilities from the laptop manufacturer are not installed, usually available in the Support section of the official website.
- Hardware malfunctions can lead to the fact that closing the laptop lid will not be registered (that is, the system will not “know” that you closed the laptop), and accordingly, the actions configured by you will not be performed.