The incredible tools of computers continue to amaze each person who uses them and discover what they are capable of doing. Changing operating systems , for example, can be a very tedious procedure.
Also … what happens if you don’t like a certain operating system? What are the steps to follow to restore the previous operating system or install a different one ? Probably, at some point you have asked yourself these unknowns and today, reading this, you could give them answers to those questions.
Alternating operating systems
How can you change your computer’s operating system to a different one or vice versa? The first thing that, surely, would come to mind, is to perform the procedure through the hard disk. However, there is a very interesting and useful workaround .
A USB different from the others
The first thing you need to carry out this type of operation between computers is to have a boot device . In this case, you can have a USB device. However, it is not just any USB device, it is a bootable USB, do you want to know more?
What is a bootable USB?
The term boot is associated with ” boot “, so a bootable USB is nothing more than a means to start the boot procedure of your computer, even if it does not have an operating system installed.
What you need to create a bootable USB
The first thing, of course, is to have a USB storage device with enough space to maintain an ISO image, as well as a program with which to record said image (which, it should be noted, would contain a significant number of files ).
Although it is not essential, although it is highly recommended , it is that the USB device is 3.0, to guarantee a higher speed in the transfer of files.
Where can I create these bootable USBs?
This can be done from any computer with any operating system. However, this time, special attention will be paid to those who have Ubuntu Linux .
Popsicle, the way to create bootable USB in Ubuntu
For this occasion, the Popsicle program will be used to create a bootable USB or bootable USB. To do this, the first thing you will need are the repositories. In this sense, you should start using the Ubuntu Linux terminal and enter the following command:
- ” Sudo add-apt-repository ppa: system76 / pop “
- Ubuntu Linux might take a couple of minutes to update.
- Once updated, it is time to proceed with the installation of Popsicle for the creation of the bootable USB. To do this, you will enter the following command: « sudo apt install popsicle popsicle-gtk «
- Now proceed to delete the repository that you originally installed. This is done in order to avoid the constant (and annoying) request for updates. So, you must enter the following: « sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa: system76 / pop «
- Use the sudo apt update command to update the system.
Popsicle installed … now what?
After this simple series of steps, the next step will be to search for the program to verify that it works correctly . If you don’t know how this type of program works, don’t worry, here you will have all the information you need.
- Connect the USB storage device.
- When using the program, you will be prompted to add the previously referenced ISO image.
- Click next.
- Select the device (s) to be used as bootable USB.
- Click next.
- Wait a few minutes and, at the end of the procedure, you will verify that your USB devices have been bootable successfully.
Simple, practical, useful and important, this has been the journey to carry out this procedure that can be decisive at any given time. Following the instructions to the letter, you will verify that your bootable USB is ready to use .
What are you waiting for to share this new knowledge with people who might be in need of these important and extremely useful tips? It is time to put them into practice.