If you want to move documents more quickly, it is best to use the so-called “Robocopy” tool. For this reason, we have prepared this tutorial in which you will learn How to copy files and folders faster using Robocopy?
What is Robocopy?
Robocopy, which is also known as consistent file copy (for its English translation of “Robust File Copy” ) is a command that we can use within the Windows 10 command console. Therefore, it is advisable that you know what the CMD command prompt .
The purpose of Robocopy is the transfer of files that contains a specific directory. This process is usually relatively faster than conventional file transfer. A negative aspect of Robocopy is that it requires knowledge of Windows command lines. Which is why most users avoid this mode of transfer.
Use Robocopy to copy files and folders faster
In case you want to try or use this interesting function in Windows, we recommend that you read the following guide where we will indicate in the simplest and most basic way possible how this tool works and how to use it to move files between your storage units.
How to copy files and folders faster using Robocopy?
It is certainly possible to copy a list of files with one click in Windows. However, the process of copying entire files and folders with Robocopy is fairly straightforward to perform. If you have doubts in relation to this, we recommend that you follow the instructions below to the letter:
- First of all, you need to open the Windows command console also known as CMD. This can be done by going to the start menu and searching directly for “cmd.”
- Once you locate the CMD application, we recommend you to right click on it and select the option “Run as administrator”. When you do this, the Windows console will be displayed.
- There you will carry out the entire process, which is quite simple. You just have to position the code “Robocopy” and later, it is necessary to indicate the source folder and the destination folder. For example: robocopy C: \ Downloads C: \ Games .
- It should be noted that it is necessary to write the robocopy code, use a space, write the source folder and finally the space and the destination folder. If it is not done this way, the program will not work.
- Once you type the address correctly, press the “Enter” key, after which the file transfer process should begin. Thus, all files will be moved from one folder to another.
- In addition to this, there are some settings that you can make when making the transfer, however, this is only recommended for advanced users. You will be able to access these codes through the following link provided by Microsoft Robocopy codes.
Is it worth using Robocopy?
The file transfer using Robocopy is usually quite fast, so it is considered as one of the best alternatives to Windows Explorer. Therefore, it is convenient if you want to move large amounts of files from one space on your computer to another.
It’s certainly something you should know in case you find yourself needing to reorganize your files. This function is present in all versions of Windows, and it could also be especially useful if you have problems moving documents from your computer.