Looking for a more suitable Google Sheets font for your next project? You may be tired of the same old font that you have been using for all your documents and spreadsheets since you started using Google Drive.
And you are not alone. Many people don’t pay attention to the font they are using until they realize that there are many options for fonts.
Fortunately, this guide we provided will show you how to change the font in Google Sheets, along with some other tips on this app.
Change your font in Google Sheets
If you work with data, you are probably using Google Sheets. There are tons of options that you can customize within your spreadsheets, and changing the font is one of them.
Here’s how you can do it in a few easy steps.
To change the font for the entire worksheet:
- Open the desired spreadsheet.
- Navigate to the blank cell in the upper left corner of the worksheet, right between the number 1 and the letter A.
- Click on it to select the entire page.
- Go to the toolbar at the top of the window and click on the name of the font.
- From the drop-down menu, select the new font you want to apply.
To select the entire worksheet, you can also use a keyboard shortcut: CTRL + A.
If you only want to change the font for specific cells, click each one while holding down the CTRL key. When you highlight the desired cells, change the font on the toolbar.
Along with the font name, you have several other options that you can change about your font, for example, its size, color, whether it is bold or italic, etc.
How to change the default font in Google Sheets
The option to change the default font in Google Sheets hasn’t always been available. However, now you can easily do it with a couple of clicks.
- Open a spreadsheet and click the Format tab in the toolbar at the top.
- Choose Theme from the drop-down menu.
- Click Customize in the pop-up window that appears on the right side of the spreadsheet. The button is next to the name of your current theme.
- Choose a new font from the drop-down menu below. Here you can also change the theme colors and background of the chart.
- When you’ve made all your changes, click the Done button at the top. The font you have selected will now be applied to the entire worksheet.
Note: You can change the default font for each topic in the list. Unfortunately, this change cannot be applied to your future documents. You should manually change the font every time you open a new sheet.
How to change the default font size in Google Sheets
Unfortunately, Google Sheets does not allow users to change the default font size in spreadsheets. However, what you can do is change the font size of the document.
- Select the entire document or specific cells that you want to change.
- Navigate to the toolbar at the top of the window and click on the number next to the font name.
- From the drop-down list, select the font size you want for your spreadsheet.
Would you like to know more about customizing your tables in Google Sheets? Here are answers to some frequently asked questions.
Why change the default font in Google Sheets?
There are many reasons why someone would want to change the default font in Google Sheets.
Maybe you just don’t like the font. There may be company guidelines you should follow when submitting spreadsheets for the job. Or you can have a specific font for your personal brand that you want to use across platforms and documents.
Changing the font in Google Sheets can also make your spreadsheet more readable. You can use different fonts or different font sizes and colors to highlight specific data that you consider essential.
How do I change my font to a larger size in Google Sheets?
If you need to enlarge your font within a Google Sheet spreadsheet, navigate to the toolbar at the top and locate the number next to the font name. You can:
- Double-click the number and enter the desired font size, or
- Click the arrow on the right and choose the desired font size from the drop-down list.
Can you add fonts to Google Sheets?
Changing your default font may work, but your options are quite limited. On the other hand, you have more possibilities when it comes to choosing a suitable font for the entire spreadsheet. You can access all of them when you click to change the document font:
- Select the font name from the toolbar at the top.
- From the drop-down menu, select More Fonts.
- In the newly opened window, use the search field to find the desired font if you know its name. Otherwise, you can use different filters to locate the font you want. There are dozens of fonts to choose from.
- When you find a suitable font, click the OK button in the lower left corner to save your changes.
How do I adjust the font size of the screen?
There is also a way to temporarily adjust the font size of the screen without changing anything within the spreadsheet.
And it’s actually quite simple. All you need to do is press the CTRL or CMD key, depending on the computer you have, and the + or – keys on the keyboard. These shortcuts work for web browsers and will increase or decrease the font size of the screen.
Customize your spreadsheet
Changing the font is a fairly straightforward task, regardless of the application you are using within Google Drive. All options are accessible from the toolbar at the top of the document or spreadsheet. There are a large number of fonts available, so you are sure to find one to suit your business requirements or personal preferences. Or, if it’s about being unique, you can find a font that expresses your creativity in the right way.