Depending on the operating system you have, you can change the default browser in one way or another, in any case, the steps are quite simple and with them you can modify your usual browser for another whenever you want.
A web browser is a program that allows us to access the Internet. Through a simple application we can navigate through all the webs. Currently there are a multitude of browsers, although there are only a couple of them that stand out above the others.
We are talking, for example, of Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge, the latter property of Microsoft that is already installed in Windows operating systems and that is the replacement for Internet Explorer, although it will continue to be installed even in Windows 11 .
The user is free to download and install the browser they want, and when we have our favorite we can turn it into the one that we will use by default for everything, that is, that, for example, is the one that opens when we press any URL.
Change default browser in Windows 10
In Windows 10 there is a setting called “default applications” that allows you to modify the system’s default browser, this is what you should do:
- Press the Windows + Q keys, type in the option “default applications” and enter that setting.
- Click on the “browser” section and choose the new option. Closing the window would save what you just did.
Change default browser from Chrome in Windows 10
It is also possible to change the default browser from the browser itself and each one has a setting that allows you to change this aspect without having to enter the Windows 10 configuration. If you want it to be Chrome, this is what you should do :
- Open Chrome, click on the icon with the three dots that appears above and enter “settings”.
- Click on the “Default browser” option in the left column. There we will see if it is the one we have by default or we can choose it as the default, if it is not you have to click on “choose as default”.
Change browser from Firefox in Windows 10
In case you have Firefox installed and you want that to be your default browser in Windows 10, you can also modify this condition from Firefox itself, this is what you should do:
- Open Firefox, click on the icon with the three horizontal stripes at the top and go to “settings” .
- Without leaving the new advantage that opens, click on the option “make default” , that means that it will now be your main browser, although if the option appears disabled it means that it was already your default browser.
Change default browser from Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
To set Microsoft Edge as the default browser in Windows 10, you can do it like this from the browser itself:
- Open the browser, click on the icon with the three dots on the top right and enter “settings” .
- Now click on the “default browser” section in the left column. Finally, select the “set as default” option .
Change default browser on iOS
In case you have an iPhone or iPad updated to the latest version of iOS , you will see that it is also possible to change the default browser very easily , a possibility that was not available until some time ago, but that Apple has enabled.
But before that you must install at least one browser from the AppStore as an alternative to Safari, which is the one that is already installed on the system. After that, the steps to follow are as follows:
- Open the settings and scroll down until you find the browser that you want to be the default for your iPhone or iPad. In this case, we will choose to enter Chrome.
- Next, click on the “default browser app” option.
- Finally, we choose “Chrome”, although it would be worth choosing another app if we have already installed another browser (Firefox, Edge, etc.).
Change default browser on Android
Also in Android you can modify the browser that the system uses as the default, although we must clarify something, and the path to change this parameter may change depending on the customization layer you have installed.
This means that the route that we will indicate to change the browser in Android Stock may not be the same if you have a Samsung, Xiaomi or other manufacturer’s mobile. In any case, it shouldn’t be much different. Here are the steps:
- On your Android mobile, go to settings / applications or applications and notifications / default applications / browser application.
- Now choose the new default browser and save the changes.
The steps to change the default browser are quite simple in any operating system, both in Windows 10 and in iOS and Android, although you also have the possibility in Windows to change this setting from the browsers themselves as we have indicated.