You want to install the Windows operating system on your computer, but without losing documents or valuable information from your files. Here we show you how to boot Windows from external hard drive step by step and without any complications for you.
Computers have a menu, which allows you to choose which device you want to boot your computer’s operating system from. This means that you can use external hard drives , which are very useful when making backups. Information can even be recovered from a damaged external hard drive .
On the other hand, you may wonder what an external hard drive is and what it works for and how you can use it on your personal computer. In a simple way we explain everything about the external hard drive, it will be practical and easy for you and your computer, it will work effectively .
What is an external hard drive?
An external hard drive is a type of storage device that is easy to install, and to transport it there is no problem. It does not consume energy and does not cause any inconvenience to the system in general, since its purpose is to serve as technical support .
This device also has the function of storing documents and above all, to contain Windows or Linux operating systems. In addition, it also has the ability to store important computer programs on laptop or desktop computers.
What’s its main attrbute
The main characteristic of a hard disk is that it is usually micro or small compared to the disks of common computers. These usually come with a housing that protects them from shocks or similar damage, which guarantees the device a long useful life.
Hard drives have well-known connections such as USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 , including firmware , allowing you to use them on any computer. Now knowing that it is a hard disk, what its function and capacity is, we will explain below, how to make your computer start with an external hard disk.
Steps to boot a Windows operating system with external hard drive
The steps to follow will complete your goal, saving, formatting or freeing up space on your PC’s hard drive , safely with an external hard drive. Remember to start your computer with a good external disk, as it will allow you to solve common problems in desktop or laptop computers.
- The first thing to do is go to the start window and press settings, and then you will give it a restart.
- Next, you must connect the external hard drive with the operating system , in some USB port of your laptop or table computer. This external hard drive must have the operating system that we will use installed .
- Now turn off the computer and make sure your computer is properly turned off to continue, and turn it back on with the external equipment connected.
- When you turn on your computer, press the access key where it says < Select boot device > and wait for it to be processed.
- Press F12 and it will present you with a menu of boot device options, which the computer will read and show you.
- Choose the removable disk drive that mostly has the name of the brand you bought or simply mentions external disk.
- Another important step is to be patient, while the main computer processes the external disk, which contains the Windows operating system to be used on your computer.
- When the system asked you about the selection verification , you can press any key, so the installed operating system will boot correctly.
After having installed the operating system, go to the file explorer and the connected device will appear on the left side. Select it and press the eject option, in case you are not going to use it anymore on your computer, and if you don’t keep it connected.
As you could read, installing a Windows operating system on your computer is easy and simple, you just have to follow the recommendation given above. For added security and convenience, seek technical IT advice , as staff will be trained to carry out this installation.