In today’s article we invite you to see how to make and restore a backup of the Windows registry in a very simple way. It is very important that you have a backup copy of this section of the operating system.
You install, modify, or do almost anything important in Windows and it goes straight to the Windows registry. The famous ” Windows Registry ” is quite important because if it had some kind of error, we would experience it when using the system.
That is why it is essential to have a backup copy of it, for security reasons . Since, it would not be the first time that someone has to format the entire computer due to certain problems related to it that could have been solved by restoring a backup copy.
For many people the Windows registry is something quite unknown. Especially for those who do not use Windows computers continuously and make it more casual.
Certainly when we are going to enter it it is important that you be very careful, since you can cause a very important failure in the system and that is precisely why we need to have a backup copy of it.
Today we are going to see how to create a backup and then how to restore it. In these cases, we recommend that you save this copy in the cloud. Perhaps in a service like OneDrive it would be ideal.
Create a backup of the Windows registry
- The first thing we must do is enter the system registry. For this we press on the start menu and type “regedit”, then press enter.
- A window appears where we will have to click on “Yes” to continue.
- Now we are going to see the Windows registry window. Where we will be able to navigate through the entire operating system registry. From the left sidebar we have all the system logs.
- To be able to create a complete backup of everything that is in the Windows registry. We are going to go to “File” after this we must go to “Export”. The only important detail is that when doing all this, you must have “Team” selected in the left sidebar. Since it is the root of the entire registry.
- You can also right click on “Computer” and then select “Export” and you can also create a backup.
- In case you want to have a backup copy of some other branch of the registry, you simply select it, right click it and “Export”.
How to restore a backup of the Windows registry
Now in case you want to restore a backup you made earlier. The process to do it is actually quite simple and it should not take you long.
- What you need to do is open the registry. For this go to start and type ” regedit “.
- A window appears where you must confirm by clicking on ” Yes ” to open it.
- After this what we will have to do is go to File> Import.
- Now we are going to have to find the location of the .reg file that would be the backup of the registry.
- Once we open it, all the Windows registry values will automatically be modified by those from the backup copy.
It is always important to have a backup of this kind of thing. Even a Windows restore point you should have, even one. Remember that if you have a question regarding this issue, you can leave it in the comments box where we can help you in everything that is necessary.