Since its launch, Google has been improving and adding new features to its Google TV platform, the successor to Android TV. The company recently introduced Apple TV + support on Google TV and fixed a major bug where users were facing data corruption issues on Google TV. Everything is fine now, but Google has yet to add a dedicated Play Store shortcut on the homepage, which is downright disappointing. To access the full Play Store on Google TV, you need to call the Google Assistant or dive into various menus and sub-menus. So to make things easier for you, we’ve put together five ways to access the full Play Store on Google TV in this article.
Access the full Play Store on Google TV: 5 methods explained! (2021)
Here, we have added various ways to open the full Play Store on Google TV. Depending on your level of experience, you can use any of the five methods listed below. To move to a particular method, expand the table below.
Method 1: Open Play Store on Google TV via Google Assistant
The easiest way to access the full Play Store interface on Google TV is to use the Google Assistant. Follow the steps below to learn how it works:
- Simply press and hold the Google Assistant button on the remote control and say ” Open Play Store“.
- Instantly, the Google Assistant launch the Play Store applicationon your Chromecast with Google TV. Now, you can update apps manually, turn off automatic updates, manage parental controls, and more.
Method 2: access the Play Store from Google TV settings
Another nifty way to open the Play Store on Chromecast with Google TV is through the “App Information” page. From there, you can open the main interface of the Play Store.
- To do so, go to ” Settings“.
- Then navigate to ” Applications“.
- In the right panel, press “ See all applications“.
- Scroll down and select ” Show System Applications“.
- Now scroll down and search for ” Google Play Store“.
- Go to the right panel menu and open the Play Store.
- Finally, you will be able to access the Google Play Storeon your Chromecast with Google TV.
Method 3: create a Play Store shortcut on the home screen
Since Google does not offer a direct access to the Google Play Store on Google TV, we need to download a third-party app for that. The app has been developed by edwaine from XDA-Developers, and adds a simple shortcut for the app store on the home screen. Let’s see how it works:
- First, click here and download the APK.
- Next, we need to download the APKon our Google TV. You can follow our detailed tutorial on how to download APK files on Android TV. The instructions are quite similar for Google TV and Android TV, as they share the same Android foundation.
- Once you have successfully transferred the APK to your Google TV, open a file explorer and install the downloaded APK.
- Once installed, press the Home button on the remote and you will find a Google Play Store shortcut added to the top rowon your Google TV. Easy right?
Method 4: install a third-party launcher
If you find the Google TV launcher too complex to use, you can install a third-party launcher from the Play Store. It will give a clean look to the home screen and it will also add a shortcut to the Google Play Store. Here’s how to do it.
Note : By the way, you can disable personalized recommendations on Google TV or customize the Google TV home screen for a smooth and uncluttered experience.
- You can install a third party launcher from Play Store. No need to download it. We have already selected a list of the best Android TV launchers, so go through the list and select the one you like. I would suggest ATV Launcher(Free) or Sideload Launcher (Free).
- To install a launcher, press and hold the Google Assistant button and say ” find application X“. Now, open the launcher and install it.
- Once installed, press the start button, and you will find the ATV launcher added to the top row.
- Open it to find a clean interface with a Google Play Store shortcut. That’s it. Now you can easily install and manage applications on your Google TV.
Method 5: remap a remote button to open Play Store
Finally, you can remap a remote button to open the Play Store on your Google TV. We have explained how it works in the following steps:
- You need to install Button Mapper(Free, offers in-app purchases) on your Google TV and follow our guide on how to remap Android TV remote to grant all permissions.
- Once you’ve set everything up, choose a button that you want to use to open the Play Store. For example, I have chosen ” Double tap” on the Home button to open Play Store instantly.
- Then open the “Double tap” menu in the Button Mapper application. Then go to the drop-down menu, choose ” Applications” and scroll down until you find “Play Store”. Select it.
- You are finished. Now when you want to press the home button twice, Play Store will open instantly. How cool is that? Yes, it’s a bit of a long process to set everything up, but it works like a charm once it’s done.
Five ways to access the Play Store app on Chromecast with Google TV
So these are the five different ways you can access the full Play Store app on Google TV. The Google Assistant method is fast and efficient, but frankly I just downloaded the shortcut app from the Play Store for faster access. And if you are an advanced user, I suggest that you remap the remote control button. Anyway, that’s it for us. For more Google TV tips and tricks, follow our linked article. And if you have any questions, let us know in the comment section below.