Discover the features of Microsoft Teams – the collaborative app most used by organizations.
The smart working for many organizations is not new, but in recent weeks, thanks to the emergence of Covid-19, many of us have found themselves having to deal with this innovative working dimension: work remotely. The remote communication has not only affected companies and workers, but also schools and universities, teachers and students so that they necessarily experienced a new form of distance education .
Microsoft Teams Free for Students: Complete Guide
Thanks to Microsoft Teams , the tool launched a few years ago by the company founded by Bill Gates, many people are working comfortably from home while waiting to return to the office. Even educational institutions, already linked to Microsoft by agreements relating to the Office 365 Education suite of tools, have chosen Teams as an app to continue their lessons remotely and even hold exams and graduation sessions remotely.
While Microsoft Teams looks a lot like other messaging apps, many users first installed this software following the disaster. Although the graphical interface has been completely revised recently, even today newbies may find it difficult to understand how Microsoft Teams works . For this reason we have chosen to provide some useful tips on how the app works and to create a guide to using Microsoft Teams .
- Microsoft Teams: how it works
- How teams and channels work
- What are the main features of Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams: how it works
How Teams works is very intuitive. The interface and tools have been completely redesigned in recent times. Since the launch of the app (it was 2016 when Microsoft decided to launch this tool to compete with rival Slack) numerous changes have been made that have made Teams very similar to one of Microsoft’s flagship messaging software, namely Skype. Today’s version of Teams we could say is very similar to Skype for Business, but it offers a set of better tools and features.
Microsoft Teams works on three levels of users :
- The free basic plan was recently made available to all business and school organizations that need to activate remote communication methods. This plan offers the bare minimum to be able to connect with other members of your organization, communicate by exchanging posts, messages and files, calling and video calling online and using Office 365 via the web;
- The basic business plan is the first of the two paid plans that you can subscribe to. It is not just tied to Teams, but to the Microsoft 365 suite. In addition to the basic functionality, you can enjoy more space for storing or sending files, additional services (including SharePoint) and better security tools (including two-factor authentication This plan costs € 4.20 per month (excluding VAT) for each member of the organization.
- The standard business plan is the other paid plan available to organizations. In addition to the increased storage space and some advanced features (such as recording and scheduling of meetings) you can take advantage of the Office 365 suite both on the web and desktop. This plan costs € 10.50 per month (excluding VAT) for each member of the organization.
How teams and channels work
Organizations have the ability to coordinate to collaborate across teams and channels. Teams are a combination of people and content around various projects and goals. There may be stable teams, such as departments or offices for companies, classes for school organizations. Teams can also be dynamic to work on specific projects, such as a product launch or graduation session. You can create private teams, which are accessible by invitation only.
Channels are dedicated sections within a team for the purpose of keeping conversations organized on specific topics, projects, disciplines, and everything the team needs.
Conversations, files, and notes in team channels are visible only to members. Channels can also be open to all team members or be private. Standard channels are intended for conversations that all team members can participate in, while in private channels, communications are limited to a small group of people on the team.
What are the main features of Microsoft Teams
With Microsoft Teams, you have a number of features to improve collaboration with members of your business organization or to follow lectures from a distance.
Within the channels you can post messages and communications, readable by team members who are granted access to the channel. Not only is it possible to enrich messages with attachments (the weight of the attachment depends on the plan used, but also in the basic version it is possible to attach up to 2GB of files (that’s not a little!). very similar to that of other messaging apps. For those who have already used Skype for Business or similar apps there will be no particular problems in composing a message. In addition to attachments, you can add emoticons and other graphics to emphasize the post. Always in channels , in the file tab it will be possible to retrieve what is shared by the participants (in the case of school organizations it will be possible to access the didactic material uploaded by the teacher).
In addition to the standard and private channels, Teams has the chat function. It is a feature to chat privately with a member or group of members of your organization. Starting a private conversation is very intuitive. Here too, you can compose a text message and enrich it with graphic gimmicks such as emoticons, gifs and memes .