Have you ever wondered how long you can use Windows 10 without a product key or activation?The simple answer is that you can use it forever, but in the long run some features will be disabled. Gone are the days when Microsoft forced consumers to buy a license and kept restarting their computer every two hours if they ran out of grace period for activation.
How long can you use Windows 10 without activation
So now you know that there is no need to activate Windows 10 – but you should know that Microsoft’s Retail Licensing Agreement, Section 5, says:
You are only authorized to use this software if you have a qualifying license and the software has been correctly activated with a genuine product key or other authorized method.
Windows 10, unlike previous versions, does not force you to enter a product key during the installation process. You get a Skip Now button . Once installed, you will be able to use Windows 10 for the next 30 days without any restrictions.
Here is a list of the limitations you will face in this situation:
- The watermark will remain in the lower right corner saying Activate Windows .
- Windows will send notifications asking you to activate Windows. I’m not sure how often this will be, but you will notice it every day.
- There will be Windows not activated, Activate Windows now‘notification in settings.
- You will not be able to change the wallpaper, accent colors, themes, lock screen, etc. Anything related to personalizationwill be grayed out or unavailable.
- Some apps and features will stop working
- While you can still receive updates at this time, Microsoft will likely change its policy in the future.
So you can see that Windows 10 works even without activation, but we will never recommend that. While it may currently receive updates, Microsoft may decide at any time to either block or delay them. In this case, its use will be unsafe. In addition, if you use it for commercial purposes, it may be illegal to use the software without an appropriate license.