Many Windows users often have problems trying to carry out certain updates on their devices, hence they need help to solve them. Therefore, today we will explain how to correct the update error 0x800f0986 in Windows Update, in a simple way and in a few steps. But before we repair Windows Update errors , let’s discuss why these failures appear when trying to update.
Why do I get the update error 0x800f0986?
This usually happens when we try to perform a download, an update of cumulative patches with the help of settings in Windows 10. And instead of downloading the update, the program shows us a message of “Update error 0x800f0986”.
Once we understand why the update error 0x800f0986 appears , we will analyze below, how to repair update errors in Windows 10.
Fix update error 0x800f0986 in Windows Update
Next, we will help you correct this error that prevents you from entering the necessary updates to keep your operating system optimal.
- Make sure the Windows update service is active :
- Select Win + R key.
- In the “CMD” command window enter “Services.msc” and then choose “OK”.
- A list of services will appear, from which you must select “Windows Update” and double-click.
- Then a ” Windows Update Properties ” window will appear .
- In the “General” tab, you must select where it says “Startup type” and then “Automatic”.
- Then you must choose where it says “Start” and wait for the analysis to take place.
- Finally, select “Apply” and then “OK” to close the tab.
- Enable the Windows Update troubleshooter
- We will go to the search engine, which is in the task bar of our PC.
- We will copy the following words “Solve activation problems”
- Then we select it and it will send us to a “Settings” window.
- In the left bar, we choose ” Fix problem ” and then where it says “Windows Update”.
- We will get the option “Run the problem solver” and select it.
- Then a window will appear, carrying out the analysis of the present problems.
- And finally we select, “Apply this review” and that’s it.
Other steps to fix update error 0x800f0986 in Windows Update
To fix Windows Update error when you don’t update Windows 10; We must take the following steps, which we will indicate below.
- Perform clean up the folder ” Software Distribution “
- Go to the “Windows Update Properties” tab.
- Select the “Stop Updates” option.
- Then choose ” File Explorer ” on your taskbar.
- Once logged in, copy this path, C:> Windows> Software distribution> Download.
- Press the “CTRL + A” keys to get all the content of that file.
- Next, you must press “Delete”.
- Then we will click on “Start” from the properties tab of Windows Update.
- And finally, we will select “Resume”.
- Let’s reset Windows update
- In the taskbar finder, enter “CMD.”
- Where it says ” Command Prompt “, select “Run as administrator.”
- Then in the window, enter these commands separately:
- “Net stop wuauerv.”
- “Net stop cryptSvc”.
- “Network stop bits”.
- “Net stop msiserver”.
- Then enter the following command, and then select “Return.”
- “Ren C: Windows Software Distribution Software Distribution.old”.
- Then you will have to enter these commands , one by one:
- “Net start wuauserv”.
- “Net start cryptSvc”.
- “Network start bits.”
- “Net start msiserver.”
- And finally, restart your computer.
- Disable third-party antivirus utilities:
You may get the error 0x800f0986, by third-party antivirus utilities , which blocks the updates that your Windows Update needs. For that reason, we could disable third-party antivirus software to fix Windows Update error 0x800f0986.
Let’s restart Windows 10
As a last step, we are going to restart our Windows 10 , to execute the changes that we have made on our PC, following these steps:
- In the search engine we enter ” Reset this computer ” and select it.
- We will open a tab in configuration that says “Recovery”.
- We select “Start”, then select “Save my files.”
- Then press, “Next” and “Restart.”
Ready, in this way, you will be able to correct Windows Update update error 0x800f0986 in a few steps and in a simple way.