Sometimes when you start an Office program, you may receive the message ” Something went wrong, we were unable to start your program .”You may have a problem with your Office file and any application you try to run throws the same error. This applies to Office 2019/2016, Office for business, Office 365 Home and Business editions. In this guide, we will help you solve this problem.
Office error – something went wrong
1] Reboot the device .
It is possible that apps might get stuck due to a background process. This process can block the launch of the application. So at least wait a few minutes, restart your device and then restart the app. You can also try to sign in using the Microsoft account connected to your Office.
If you’re not sure which account you were using, follow these steps to find out.
- Open any Office application.
- Click “File” and then find your name in the upper right corner.
- Click on it and it will open the email or Microsoft account associated with Office.
2] Repair Office from apps and features
Windows 10 offers recovery features that replace some of the core files with the original files.
- Open Windows Settings and select Apps & Features.
- Scroll down the list to find your Microsoft Office installation, click it, and then click
- This will open a window.
- Select Quick Recoveryor Online Recovery , and then click the Recover button .
When you decide to renovate, you have two options. It depends on how Microsoft Office was installed, i.e. web installer or offline installer (MSI based).
- Web installer. When prompted to repair Office, choose Online Repair> Repair. Don’t use the quick repair option here.
- MSI-based:Under Modify Installation, select Repair and click Continue.
The recovery process ensures that application data remains intact.
3] Try reinstalling Office .
If both steps don’t work, it’s best to reinstall Office. Be sure to use the Microsoft Office uninstaller to completely uninstall Office and then reinstall it. If reinstalling Office takes a long time to install, you can download the offline installer and complete the installation process. Make sure to select the correct version when installing in your office.