Achieving well-being is key not only for productivity to increase, but also for the employee to feel comfortable at work, get involved with the company and be its best brand ambassador
This, in an environment like the coronavirus pandemic that is spreading around the world and that threatens the survival of large companies, SMEs and professionals, becomes key and is that implementing the culture of well-being in a transversal way is the main catalyst to be able to keep reaping results .
The new personal and professional leadership happens because the managers and directors are promoters of their own health and that of the rest of their team. “Interest in how to create a culture of well-being is booming. The key to understanding the concept is understanding that health is a resource for life, not an end in itself. We should not see health as a well-being index, but health as a tool to achieve well-being ”, explains Estel Mallorquí , director and founder of Biwel .
The first step to create a culture of well-being within a company is to educate, empower and accompany people in the conquest of lifestyles that generate health and well-being in their personal and professional communities. In this sense, lifestyles are nourished by the social environment, by a world view that implies a set of behavior patterns, values and beliefs that help us assume a certain role in the social aspect.
“In a culture of well-being , social influences can lead people to have a healthy behavior , or not , in each of the health habits: physical activity, diet, emotional management, toxic habits , rest, general health or financial education ”, adds the director of Biwel.
In this sense, Biwel reviews these social influences and points out how they can be taken into account when designing a business wellness plan:
- Shared values (priorities) : it is important to establish a connection between the benefits of well-being and the interests and values of the company. The culture of well-being encourages employees to make better decisions, achieving the goals set by the company.
- Regulations (the way in which we do things in the company) : in a culture of well-being, the objective is to change or adapt the rules, ensuring that workers have healthy behaviors and, at the same time, support or develop rules that support healthy practices.
- Cultural Procedures (Formal and Informal Policies) : A culture of wellness takes hold when policies are aligned and helps employees to follow healthy behavior. Thanks to this positive influence, greater commitment, satisfaction and talent attraction are achieved.
- Health and wellness programs (support in improving people’s health and wellness) : facilitating healthy environments, services and specific or continuous training events (workshops, PAE …), a wellness portal as a communication channel … Not just for the worker , but also to improve the well-being of their families, their friends and cultivate relationships between coworkers.
- Climate (social cohesion): A culture of well-being can help build a positive work climate by adopting approaches that focus more on strengths than risks, that connect with the organization’s mission and offer people opportunities to help your peers.
“ Creating a culture of wellness requires time, effort, being open to constructive feedback from employees and building a methodology for continuous improvement year after year . Each of the health and wellness programs implemented is important that it is aligned with all aspects of the company culture, that it is coherent and grows year by year with the cultural change, ”Estel Mallorquí points out.
Human capital is the main asset of the company, responsible for its growth, and we must take care of it by creating healthier, safer, more productive, more humane, competitive and sustainable companies. More committed, happy and healthy people generate healthy and profitable companies.
During this COVID19 situation, it is time to propose a post-confinement management consistent with our culture and with the safety and health of our employees. Digitizing health can help to obtain truthful information important for more effective business management.