Overview of all the main factions of the game: England, Russia, Franks, Mongols and others.
16 years after the release of the third part, fans have waited for a new game in the series – Age of Empires 4 . A total of 8 factions are represented in it, and each has its own potential advantages and bonuses on the battlefield.
In this guide, we have collected brief information on each faction, listing their advantages, unique features and characteristics. A more in-depth overview of these factions can be seen in separate reviews.
England in Age of Empires 4
The British are distinguished by their strong defensive systems, which are formed by the network of castles. This network helps the British in battles. In Age of Empires 4 England goes through four eras – Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-Norman, English Gothic and Tudors.
The main advantages when playing for England:
- Ordinary villagers are much stronger and capable of using bows.
- Vanguard Warriors (heavy melee infantry) are available already in the first era.
- Farms require 50% less wood to build, and mills increase the speed of harvesting resources from farms by 15%.
- The castle network gives a bonus to city centers, outposts, towers and fortresses. The attack speed of the units located in them increases by 25%.
- If city centers are attacked by enemies, they fire twice as many arrows.
- The range of warships is increased by 1.
- Difficulty for England: 1/3
Holy Roman Empire in Age of Empires 4
The Holy Roman Empire is famous for its strong infantry, which is further strengthened by special units that preach religion. Thus, this faction is much more effective in attacking actions. If you choose to play as the Holy Roman Empire, you will be transported to an era between AD 936 and 1517.
The main advantages when playing as the Holy Roman Empire:
- Their religious unit, the Prelate, is available from the first era.
- Early Warriors will be available in the second era.
- Placing relics in outposts, fortresses and towers will give them bonuses to sight range, weapons, defensive systems, and damage dealt.
- Relics can also be placed in docks, which will increase the attack speed of ships by 5%. 5% for each relic!
- The cost of building outposts, towers and fortresses has been reduced by 25%.
- Difficulty of playing the Roman Empire: 2/3
The Abbasid dynasty in Age of Empires 4
The Abbasid dynasty relies on their knowledge and research to win the battle. Players will be able to unlock various improvements that will significantly change the mechanics of the gameplay of Age of Empires 4. Ultimately, as the Ababasid dynasty develops, it will receive significant advantages over all its competitors. Players will lead a civilization between 750 and 1517 AD, experience the “golden age of Islam” and see its technological advances.
The main advantages of playing for the Abbasid dynasty:
- You can’t get food from wild boars, but you pick berries 25% faster.
- Infantrymen can create battering rams and siege weapons without prior knowledge of siege engineering.
- By rebuilding the wings from the House of Wisdom, players can go through the ages, and all nearby buildings receive +5 to protection from fire.
- The cost of building docks has been reduced by 50%.
- In the Golden Age, resource gathering, research time, and production speed have been significantly increased.
- Difficulty playing for the Abbasids: 2/3
Mongols in Age of Empires 4
The Mongols are a faction that can be attributed to the “run and fire” mechanic. An incredibly agile, organized army of Mongols specializes in sparkling assault. In Age of Empires 4, they are assigned a period between 1000 and 1500 AD. It is a nation that has linked Eastern and Western civilizations.
The main advantages of playing as Mongols:
- By setting fire to enemy buildings, the Mongols receive 50 units of food and gold.
- You can collect and move structures.
- Mongolians start out with a maximum population and do not need to build houses.
- The early horsemen are available from the first era, and the spearmen from the second.
- By using the stone, the Mongols can double the number of units produced or accelerate the research of advanced technologies.
- Transport ships have 50% more HP and move 15% faster.
- Difficulty for Mongols: 3/3
China in Age of Empires 4
The Chinese civilization, with its innovative structures and the use of gunpowder, is immensely powerful. The Chinese are strong both defensively and offensively. In Age of Empires 4, they are assigned a period between 907 and 1644 AD. This is the time when the Chinese were trying to expand their influence across Eurasia.
The main advantages of playing as China:
- Villagers build defensive structures 50% faster, and other buildings 100% faster.
- The construction of both sites from the same era will turn China into a dynasty, thanks to which the faction will receive numerous bonuses.
- As we move into the fourth era, chemistry-based technologies become free.
- Docks run 20% faster.
- Difficulty for China: 3/3
France in Age of Empires 4
The French are known for their outstanding horsemen and knights, so it is imperative to rebuild the stables as they play. In Age of Empires 4, they are assigned a period between 840 and 1559 AD. This means that players will learn about Joan of Arc and witness the appearance of powder cannons.
The main advantages of playing for France:
- With each new era, the production rate of scouts and local residents increases. Production increased by 10% in the first era, 15% in the second, and 20% in the third and fourth.
- Economic technologies are 30% cheaper.
- Resource buildings such as mills and sawmills require 25 less wood.
- Trading posts are displayed on the minimap at the start of each game.
- Merchants can return any resources to the market.
- Melee technologies are researched for free.
- Trade ships bring 20% more gold.
- Difficulty for France: 1/3
Russia in Age of Empires 4
The civilization of Russia was created for banal survival. Thanks to the harsh temperament, the Russians became a rebellious people. In Age of Empires 4, you control the Rus faction between 882 and 1552 AD, when it has to face the Norman, Norse and Byzantine eras and survive the Mongol yoke.
The main advantages of playing for Russia:
- By killing animals, you get an increased reward, including gold.
- Increased profits from all food sources.
- The early knights are available in the second era.
- Palisades are more powerful and have twice the health.
- Hunting huts can be built that produce scouts and bring gold from nearby trees.
- Wooden fortresses can be built with improved outposts with increased durability and additional garrison slots.
- Fishing ships do not need to deliver food to the docks.
- Difficulty of playing for Russia: 2/3
Sultanate of Delhi in Age of Empires 4
The main goal of the Sultanate of Delhi is the search for knowledge and technological progress. They are strong researchers and defenders. The faction is weak in attack. You will be able to rule the sultanate between 879 and 1526 AD, while civilization forms the Indo-Islamic religion and massively expands its technologies.
The main advantages of playing for the Sultanate of Delhi:
- It is impossible to collect food from wild boars, but the collection of berries increases by 25%.
- Scientists are available already in the first era.
- All technologies are free, but research is much slower. You can increase your speed by acquiring scientists.
- Infantrymen cannot build defenses.
- There is an archer on the fishing ships.
- Difficulty for Delhi: 3/3