Cyberspace is as beautiful as the kitchen of a great mansion, where there are many knives with which delicious dishes are prepared but in the wrong hands they can do a lot of damage, they can even be deadly, if you think we are exaggerating; then you have to read to the end this post to know the meaning of c iberacoso or cyberbullying and how to prevent it ; This is a new scourge of today’s society. Because at miracomosehace.com, we focus on the solution and not the problem.
What is cyberbullying
To better understand these new terms, let’s first review the old ones : “bullying” whose translation into Spanish means “harassment”. Surely we have known of some case of harassment even; We may even without knowing it sometimes participate as: victim, aggressor or as a spectator of the harassment that was committed to another person.
But with the birth of new technologies, psychological harassment also evolved through the Internet, known as cyberbullying or cyberbullying . Its main characteristics are that the harassment is done from a virtual space and that it is not carried out face to face, as in traditional school bullying. For example.
Now technology has provided an entirely new platform for attackers ( called cyberbullies ) to continue intimidating their victims; and they do it by creating fake profiles on social networks . As if that were not enough, it has also caused people who had never been aggressors ( the spectators ) to be encouraged to offend someone because it is easier for them to do it behind a keyboard.
Some methods of cyberbullying can include:
- Abusive or hurtful posts, images or videos whether they are real or photomontage.
- Insults and threats on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat , etc.
- Indirectly sending a hurtful message to the victim to inform them that they are not welcome to participate or attend an event.
- Unpleasant gossip or rumors to damage your reputation.
- Usurpation of personality: imitating others online or using their login.
- Includes threats of harm, intimidation, and offensive and vulgar comments.
Although most of the attacks are related to children and adolescents. Cases have also been reported against women as well as men .
Cyberbullying how to prevent it
Remember : Communication with your kids is critical and will only stop you once you do something about it. Here are some ways you can stop it:
- Talk about technology with your children and make agreements about the time they will dedicate to their activities. For examples: homework, social networks and games. They are more likely to talk to you if they experience cyberbullying or are uncomfortable about something.
- For the safety of young children, it is appropriate that you set security to “high” and keep an eye on what they are doing on the computer.
- Make sure to change your children’s passwords regularly (at least every 3 months) and keep them hidden from their peers and friends.
- Contact your children’s school authorities so they are aware of the situation and support you.
- Almost all social media platforms: Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, etc. They implement tools that aim to curb the problem of cyberbullying. Learn to use them with your children.
- Do not play the game of your aggressors, avoid spreading the intimidating messages they send you.
- Block people who bully you online and encourage other victims to block them too.
In order for you to be aware of a cyberbullying attack, it is important that your child trusts you as an adult. Talk to your child and get closer to him to prevent him from going into depression, or worse yet, that they attempt on his life as has happened, since at that moment he will have less strength to fight and the chances of him telling us will be few, cyberbullying we must prevent it, it is a real problem . It is also important that you share this post with your family and friends.