Colicles of newborns: every evening, at the same time, the gaseous colic of the puppies marks the panic on the faces of dumb new parents. You don’t need to be an expert, you don’t need to have already raised other children, the nephews or the daughter of the neighbor. No. Already what colic presents itself with, the well-known ” inconsolable cry ” says a lot. There is little to do: colic just has to pass .
In fact, know that gaseous colic is not a chronic disease. As they appeared, so they will go away around the 3rd-5th month of the baby’s life . Meanwhile, strong nerves and little anxiety.
The causes of colic
Where do neonatal colic come from and what are they? And is there any remedy to ease a little the suffering of those beloved puppies (and make mom and dad sleep in peace)?
The pain from colic – you can present equally and no differences in boys and girls, in those who are breastfed and those who take infant formula, the first-born and subsequent children – is caused by rapid stretching of the bowel wall due to the passage of air bubbles.
Little is known about the causes, but some hypotheses distinguish organic causes and behavioral causes . The first would be attributable to abnormal gastrointestinal function or allergic disorders related to the type of milk taken or the foods eaten by the breastfeeding mother. The second are to be connected to environmental factors or to a mother-child relationship to be run in a little longer or to the anxiety of the new parents.
In any case, the one that recognizes the cry of colicule is the rule of three proposed by Morris A. Wessel, an American pediatrician according to which the cry from gaseous colic lasts at least three hours a day, three days a week, for at least three weeks .
Crying and more. Red face and tears, the boy is decidedly agitated , he moves without finding a position by pulling up his legs, arching his back and clenching his fists.
The remedies against colic
First of all, don’t lose your patience. Be calm and serene. True, hearing your child crying constantly is unnerving to say the least and puts even the most seraphic of humans to the test. But remember that children are affected by any state of mind of their parents and it is therefore essential to convey all the tranquility possible . For the same reason, if you are about to hit rock bottom and feel that your strength is at the limit, ask for help from those closest to you and relax a little.
Furthermore, a confrontation with the pediatrician never hurts. He alone will be able to identify the possible causes of the malaise and, if the child is healthy, he will probably be diagnosed with colic.
What about the remedies? More than anything else – without wanting to resort to antimeteoritic drugs whose efficacy has been called into question – these are pure and simple styles of behavior to be adopted with your baby.
1. Pampering and lullaby! More and more … cuddling is never enough for the puppet so disheartened and forget the concept according to which “the child gets the vice”. There will be time and a way to make him understand that you can’t always be in your arms, but now that you have ache in the tummy it needs cuddles and caresses. If you are tired, use a baby sling and keep it in contact with you a little. Same thing for the lullaby : sing it softly: even if it won’t stop you from crying, it will calm you and help you pass the time while you wait for it to calm down!
2. The pacifier: many puppies also calm the pacifier with their mouths
3. Less milk and more often: in some cases feeding the baby more frequently and decreasing the quantities can help. After the feeding, with the tit or bottle it is the same, keep the baby in the position as vertical as possible and always make him burp
4. Let it move: rock it or put it in a rocking cradle or go for a walk if the weather permits. It can be very useful to cradle the baby by holding it in a prone position on the forearm, in this way:
Music! Put on a nice CD the classical music or sounds of nature: you will see that relaxation
6. Massages: after a nice warm bath, massage the baby gently, especially on the tummy with circular movements or massage the back always with a circular movement
Diet: if, together with your pediatrician, you suspect that colic is an allergic reaction , you can try to control your diet, avoiding eating chocolate, foods containing caffeine and those that, in general , for at least a while. , they could create an allergic reaction . On the other hand, the thesis according to which legumes, broccoli, cabbage and all vegetables that increase the production of intestinal gas in the mother should also be eliminated is not proven by any valid study, except in cases where they cause discomfort to the mother herself. If you use the bottle, try replacing the type of teat
8. Lactic ferments: according to numerous researches, the intake of probiotics, which help maintain the natural balance of the bacterial flora, can alleviate colic. But always compare yourself with the pediatrician!