The brand is one of the most important components of a product since it allows it to be identified and distinguished from other products that exist in the market, transmit its identity, make its quality known, and advertise it.
In this article we tell you what a brand is, what its functions are, and how to create a successful brand step by step.
In this article you will find:
- What is a brand?
- What are the functions of a brand?
- How to create a successful brand?
- Brand Tips
What is a brand?
A brand (also known as a trademark) is a name, term, sign, symbol, design or a combination of these that is assigned to a product (or service) in order to identify it and distinguish it from other products that exist in the market.
The brand is such an important component for a product, that today there is practically no product that does not have a brand, nor a consumer that does not pay attention to the brand when deciding to purchase a product.
A brand allows consumers to identify our product and distinguish it from other products on the market, convey our identity, make them notice the quality of our product, and persuade them to buy it.
But also, over time, a brand allows us to generate positive experiences, perceptions and feelings in consumers, and make them willing to pay the price we ask for our product even when it is much higher than that of the products of the competing brands.
Famous brands such as Coca-Cola , McDonald’s and Nike are some examples of brands that fully comply with the previous premise and that, due to this, can be worth millions of dollars, and even become considered more valuable than all physical assets (eg buildings and equipment) they own.
The brand is the base on which the image of a company is built.
What are the functions of a brand?
A brand mainly identifies a product and distinguishes it from other products that exist on the market; but in addition to fulfilling this function, it also fulfills several other functions.
Here are the main functions of a brand:
- Distinctive function : a brand allows consumers to identify a product and distinguish it from other competing products and, for example, to highlight the product among many products that exist on the market today.
- Function of indication of origin and business identity : a brand allows consumers to know the origin of a product; that is, the company that produces or markets it; but also, it serves as a means of transmitting the concept, style, personality or essence of the company or the product (it conveys an identity).
- Quality indication function : a brand allows consumers to notice the quality of a product and, for example, if the product is of good quality, consumers who try it not only buy it again, but are also willing to try other products of the same brand (helps to build customer loyalty); or that a new product from the same brand that is launched on the market is well received.
- Advertising function : finally, a brand enhances advertising , as it serves as a means of transmitting some important attribute, benefit or characteristic of the product, helps to persuade its acquisition, and facilitates its familiarization or positioning in the minds of consumers. .
In general, we could say that a brand has the function of persuading consumers to buy a product, and then to buy it again, but also to buy other products of the same brand.
How to create a successful brand?
Create a successful brand; that is, a brand capable of fully fulfilling all its functions, but also positioning itself in the minds of consumers, and becoming a recognized brand in the market is usually one of the main marketing objectives of any company.
Here are the steps necessary to create a successful brand:
1. Define the brand identity
The first step in creating a successful brand is to define your identity; that is, determining what it is that we want to transmit through it, what it is that we want it to project, or how we want the consumer to perceive it.
For example, through our brand we might want to transmit the concept, style, personality or essence of our company or product; or transmit an attribute, a benefit or an important or differentiating characteristic of our product (for example, quality, status, prestige, trust, security, etc.).
2. Choose the brand name
A brand is basically made up of its name, so the name we choose for our brand will largely determine its success.
To choose the name of our brand we must take into account the identity of the brand that we have previously defined; but also, for it to be an effective name, we must ensure that it meets the following requirements:
- be attractive : it must be an attractive name and capable of attracting the attention of consumers.
- be short and easy to pronounce : preferably it should be short, simple and easy to pronounce, recognize and remember, so that it can be easily engraved in the minds of consumers.
- Say something about the product or the company : for example, it should suggest some attribute, benefit, or important or differentiating characteristic of the product.
- be distinctive : you must be able to distinguish or differentiate the product from other products that exist on the market.
- take into account the target audience : for example, it must appeal to their tastes and preferences.
- take into account the competition : it should not be the same or similar to a brand name that already exists in the market, especially if it is a recognized brand in it.
In general, the name of a brand should be attractive, preferably short and easy to pronounce, be consistent with the essence of the product, and relate it to the target audience; for example, if our product is made up of an item of clothing for ladies, as a brand we could choose to give it the Italian name of a woman, because Italy is usually related to fashion.
3. Design the logo
Unlike choosing a brand name, designing a logo is not a mandatory step to create a brand, but it is a necessary step if we want it to position itself in the consumer’s mind and become a recognized brand in the world. market.
To design the logo of our brand, it is recommended that we hire the services of a graphic designer to help us with this task; However, designing a professional-looking logo is not something that we cannot do if we know how to use some graphic design program.
Whether we send it to a graphic designer or we design it ourselves with the help of a graphic design program, for our logo to be effective, we must ensure that it meets the following requirements:
- Be memorable : You must be able to visually impact the consumer when you first see them, and then be able to be remembered by them despite the passage of time.
- be attractive : it must have stylized shapes, make good use of colors, and have a concept in keeping with the times.
- be simple : it must have simple shapes, include few graphic elements, and be made up of few colors.
- be reproducible : it must be capable of being reproduced at any size, in any medium, and in both color and black and white.
- be distinctive : it must be unique, original and novel, capable of distinguishing itself from the logos of competing brands.
In case you are going to design your logo yourself with the help of some graphic design program, you could start by writing the name of your brand, giving the text the typeface that best corresponds to its identity, and then enclosing the text in some symbol or put one next to it that also best represents it.
4. Register the brand
Once we have defined our brand, another important step is to register it with the trademark and patent office in order to give it legal protection, and thus prevent other companies from using it, using a similar one, or copying it in order to take advantage of your reputation.
In summary, to register a trademark we must ensure that there is no same or similar trademark that is already registered, fill out a trademark registration application, make the corresponding trademark registration payment, and submit the application along with proof of payment at the trademark and patent office (the name of this office may vary depending on the country where the trademark is registered).
5. Position the brand
Once we have registered our brand, the next step is to position it in the consumer’s mind so that it is always kept in mind when purchasing our type of product, and so there are more chances that they will choose us before to the competition.
Positioning a brand in the consumer’s mind is not something that is achieved from one moment to another, but something that takes time and dedication, and for which there is no rule or method that tells us how to achieve it.
In general, to position a brand we must advertise it (for example, including our logo in all our advertising media, such as posters, brochures, business cards, etc.); but above all, to offer a product of excellent quality capable of achieving that our brand gains the trust of the consumer.
6. Be a recognized brand
Finally, once we have positioned our brand in the consumer’s mind, one step further is to achieve that it becomes considered a recognized brand in the market.
A recognized brand in the market is a brand that has achieved an excellent reputation, and that has created such a connection with the consumer that just by seeing it or hearing its name, positive experiences, perceptions and feelings are generated in this.
Becoming a recognized brand in the market is something that takes even more time to position one in the mind of the consumer, and for which there is no rule or method that tells us how to achieve it.
In general, in order to become a recognized brand, in addition to offering a product of excellent quality, we must have a solid company that supports it, and that is characterized by focusing on the customer, providing excellent service, and having a great relationship with him.
To finish this article, here are some tips related to the brand of a product:
Tip # 1: Create more than one brand
Keep in mind that it is possible to have more than one brand for the same type of product in order to be able to target different types of public.
For example, you could have a brand for your shirts, and then launch a new brand of shirts aimed at a new market made up of an audience with greater purchasing power, such as in the case of the Toyota brand that also has the Lexus brand.
Tip # 2: Do not confuse brand with name or business name
A common mistake that people usually make and that you should avoid is confusing the brand or trademark with the name or business name of a company (for example, Public Limited Company, Limited Liability Company, etc.).
The trademark is registered in the trademarks and patents office, while the name or company name is registered in the Public Registries office at the time of legally constituting a company .
Tip # 3: Do not confuse a brand with a patent or copyright
Another common mistake that people often make and that you should also avoid is mistaking the trademark for a patent or copyright.
Patents are rights that protect inventions or inventions, while copyrights are rights that protect literary, artistic or scientific creations.
Tip # 4: Register your brand
Finally, the most important advice regarding the brand is that you legally protect your brand; that is, that you register it in the trademark and patent office .
Registering your brand will save you a lot of trouble in the event that later, when your brand becomes known, someone wants to use or copy it to take advantage of its reputation.
- A brand is a name, term, sign, symbol, design or a combination of these that is assigned to a product.
- A brand makes it possible to identify a product and distinguish it from competing products, transmit its identity, make its quality known and advertise it.
- To create a successful brand you must define your identity, choose your name, design your logo, register it, position it and make it recognized in the market.
- A brand name should be attractive, preferably short, simple and easy to pronounce, and distinctive.
- The logo of a brand must be memorable, attractive, simple, reproducible and distinctive.
- To position a brand in the consumer’s mind, you must constantly advertise it and offer a very good quality product.
- To become a recognized brand in the market you must focus on the customer, provide excellent service, and have a great relationship with him.