Bhindi is a delicious vegetable that is high in both taste and nutrients. Okra is a good source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. Okra is found in plenty in minerals like calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus. Okra is used in the treatment of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, eye disease, constipation, anemia, dermatitis and infections.
Benefits of Okra –
- Okra has low calories (30 calories per 100 grams) and high fiber which helps in losing weight.
- Okra is rich in Vitamin C which strengthens the immune system and prevents colds, coughs and infections.
- Ladyflies are a good source of antioxidants that inhibit the growth of cancer cells in the body and help protect against many types of cancer.
- Folate (folic acid) present in okra may decrease the incidence of neural tube defects in infants of pregnant women.
- Beta carotene and vitamin A present in okra helps in improving vision. It is helpful in preventing cataracts, age related macular degeneration and other eye problems.
- Okra contains soluble fiber pectin which is helpful in lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- The fiber present in okra makes the digestive system strong and removes constipation. Eating okra on a regular basis can reduce the risk of stomach cancer.
- The okra is very beneficial for diabetic patients. It helps in reducing blood sugar levels.
- Ladyfinger is a good source of vitamin K which helps in strengthening bones.
- The iron, folate and vitamin K present in okra remove the anemia and help in preventing anemia.
- Okra is very good for skin health. It helps in the treatment of acne, psoriasis and other skin related problems.