The world’s most popular video sharing website, YouTube, is reportedly down globally.At times like this, regular YouTube users complain about a persistent 500 internal server error .
Often, YouTube users are faced with 500 internal server errors within an hour or two, preventing them from accessing their favorite videos. In fact, users are so annoyed with this error that they start tweeting about it at two tweets per minute, everyone asks about this 500 Internal Server Error, and nothing else.
YouTube can run into problems from time to time … these days, and the main one is piracy. Some experts say this error happened once because YouTube was trying to implement some new security features to stop piracy and other threats to the site. These changes can include preventing users from uploading videos, deleting copy-protected content, etc. Thus, this can lead to server downtime, resulting in a 500 Internal Server Error.
YouTube Internal Server Error 500
Internal Server 500 Error, which annoys YouTube users, is a generic response error that only occurs if any request generated from the server cannot find the correct path or cannot complete a specific task, or when the cause of the problem cannot be determined.
More information on internal error 500:
The web server (running on the website) encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling a client (for example, your web browser) request to access the requested URL.
This is a “generic” error generated by the web server. Basically something went wrong, but the server couldn’t be more specific about the error in its response to the client. In addition to the 500 error message sent to the client, the web server should generate some sort of internal error log that gives more details on what went wrong. The web server site operators must find and analyze these logs.
500 errors in a HTTP loop:
Any client (for example, your web browser) goes through the following cycle when interacting with the web server:
- Get the IP address from the site’s IP address (site URL without the leading “http: //”). This lookup (resolving an IP name to an IP address) is provided by domain name servers (DNS).
- Open an IP socket connection to this IP address.
- Write a stream of HTTP data over this socket.
- Receive a responsive HTTP data stream from the web server. This data stream contains status codes whose values are determined by the HTTP protocol. Parse this data stream for status codes and other useful information.
This error occurs in the last step above when the client receives an HTTP status code that it recognizes as “500”.
Fixed 500 internal server errors. This error can only be resolved by fixing the web server software. This is not a client side problem. The web server site operators should find and analyze the logs, which should provide additional information about the error.
More on 500 Internal Errors
Server error list 5xx:
- 500 Internal Server Error: General error message that appears when a more appropriate message is not appropriate.
- 501 Not implemented. The server either does not recognize the request method or lacks the ability to fulfill the request.
- 502 Bad Gateway: The server was acting as a gateway or proxy and received an invalid response from an upstream server.
- 503 Service Unavailable: The server is currently unavailable (because it is overloaded or down for maintenance). This is usually a temporary condition.
- 504 Gateway timeout. The server was acting as a gateway or proxy and did not receive a timely request from an upstream server.
- 505 HTTP Version Not Supported: The server does not support the HTTP version used in the request.
- 506 Option also negotiates (RFC 2295): transparently negotiating content for a request results in a circular reference.
- 507 Out of Memory (WebDAV) (RFC 4918)
- 509 Bandwidth limit exceeded (Apache bw / limited extension): This status code, although used by many servers, is not listed in any RFC.
- 510 Not Extended (RFC 2774): Requires additional request extensions for the server to execute.
- 530 User access denied.
This post on how to improve YouTube buffering, performance and speed on Windows PC may also interest you.