Hiccups (Hiccup, Hiccough, Singultus) are sudden (not a disease) symptoms, not intended to occur. But it happens automatically (Prevention by any means is not possible) The body is unable to control the symptoms, known as reflex (Reflex) is very common in women and men, from the fetus to the elderly. This is especially common in newborns, young children, older children, adolescents and adolescents.
Hiccups are generally intermittent, their mechanisms are believed to be due to disturbances of the diaphragm and intercostal nerves. Which is responsible for breathing as well as the diaphragm, resulting in the diaphragm and intercostal muscles contract immediately. Resulting in immediate inhalation Followed by the lid of the voice box, followed immediately after breathing in through the larynx. Therefore a sound was born It occurs about 4-60 beats per minute. Typically, hiccups will go away on their own within minutes or hours.
Causes of hiccups
In general, hiccups are common symptoms. With common causes or risk factors such as
- Breathe in all the smoke
- Eating food too fast, eating too much, or being too full
- Eating symptoms that cause a lot of gas
- Eat foods with strong flavors such as spicy, sour, salty, sweet.
- Immediate changes in stomach temperature, such as eating very hot food Or drink a cold drink On an empty stomach
- Drink gas or foamy beverages, such as sodas or beer.
- Smoking heavily or drinking alcohol
- A lump in the neck area, such as a goiter
- Side effects can come from certain drugs, such as cancer chemotherapy drugs.
- Hiccups can be associated with psychological and emotional problems, such as excitement, anxiety, depression, fear, and fear.
How to cure hiccups
As mentioned earlier that Hiccups will go away on their own. No need to maintain But there are some folk wisdom methods that may help hiccup heal faster. It is believed that these methods can prevent the reflex that can cause hiccups, for example:
- Take a deep breath and hold your breath for a period of 1-10, then exhale. And drink the water immediately Or hold your breath Then swallow 3 times saliva and then breathe normally Or another way to look up Then hold your breath count 1-10, then immediately exhale. And drink 1 glass of water
- Inhalation in a closed bag or paper bag By covering the mouth and nose with a bag And breathing in the bag Hold it for a while until it starts to feel short of breath for 1-2 minutes, the hiccup will disappear. Or use your hands to cover your mouth and cover your nose But continue to breathe normally, which will help suppress hiccups Because it gets more carbon dioxide gas there
- Drinking water the right way can help cure hiccups !! There are several methods such as Drinking 9 gulps of water, sipping from several gulps of water in succession, or sipping very cold water, or drinking very cold water slowly all the time and constantly swallowing until the hiccup disappears. Or until unable to hold his breath
- Bend forward at waist level and drink water from the edge of the glass, opposite or far from your lips. (Add water to a full glass and slowly drink from the edge of the glass) saw that many people use this method and it is very effective, or another easier way to keep the chin-flower water and try to swallow the water. One round knows about !!
- Eat very sour things like 100% lemon juice by squeezing 1 teaspoon of lemon and then sipping it to cure hiccups. Or swallow a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, which will help strike the taste buds and get rid of hiccups quickly.
- Eat granulated sugar without drinking water. A study by the University of Michigan, USA, found that swallowing 1 tablespoon of plain sugar (without water) can help cure hiccups for 19 out of 20 people !!
- In addition to swallowing sugar that works well Swallowing rice cubes A loaf of bread or chewing a dry bread, a small ice cube or swallowing a crushed ice can also help.
- Try 1 teaspoon of peanut butter in a pinch while chewing and nudge the chewy peanut butter off your tongue and teeth. The pattern of swallowing and breathing is interrupted. And may make the hiccups go away
- Plug your ear with your fingers for 20-30 seconds, or plug your ear along and suck the water from the tube. Or alternatively, press the soft skin behind the earlobe, the area connected to the skull. This will deliver relaxation signals through the vagus nerve, which is part of the brainstem and connects to the diaphragm area.
- Use your thumb and forefinger to grasp the tongue and pull it forward. Or sticking out your tongue to help open the closed trachea
- Hold your nose with your index finger and thumb, and then drink approximately seven gulps (or until you can’t hold your breath) while still holding your nose until you feel the air pushing out of your ear. He said that he did this not more than 3 times. I lost it!
- Press the point to solve the hiccup Is a traditional Chinese medicine trick Before acupressure, sit your back straight or lie on your back. Then use your thumbs to press on both sides of the eyebrows at the same time (the point of the penis). The remaining four fingers, hold the head, press lightly first, then gradually harder by pressing light and hard and hold until Will disappear for about 3-6 minutes, after hiccups stop pressing
- Press the point with your index finger and thumb to pinch the slope that is next to the thumb of the other hand. The stronger the better Or alternatively, press the point on the furrow above the lip Because squeezing can help divert your nervous system from hiccups.
- Massage the palate
- Knock in the nostrils to sneeze And will disappear immediately !!
- Define a normal inhalation – out breath. Try to focus on your breath only. And will notice that the hiccup distance will gradually grow longer, the first period will still have some hiccups As it continues, the hiccup will go away on its own.
- Stunting, such as a hard hit on the back without even knowing it Or causing strong emotions such as anger, excitement, or fear, or doing distractions like asking, “What’s the curd made of?” Amazing! It’s really gone!
- Inhaling a pungent odor, such as ammonia
- In the case of a baby or infant, the hiccup should be carried over the shoulder and gently stroked the back with your hand to burp.
- As for other methods that may work, there are several methods such as gargling, chewing old galangal heads, eating water, holding a pen and drinking water, eating hot sauce, swallowing honey mixed with warm water (1 teaspoon honey), swallowing powder. Cocoa or Ovaltine, gently chew and swallow dill seeds, cover a glass with a paper towel with a paper towel. And try to drink water (When you use the force to suck the water through the paper, the diaphragm will have to exert more force. Thus helping to resist muscle spasm)
Hiccup if it is several days It is not normal. You should see your doctor. Because it may be caused by other diseases such as brain disorders Digestive disease Paralysis Inflammation in the abdomen around the diaphragm Ischemic stroke, etc., but most of the patients who come to see a doctor with hiccups for a long period of time Due to a brain abnormality or paralysis Which of these symptoms can be given medication to help relieve hiccups.