The carnivorous animals are those who feed meat animals. For example, the per ro, the lion, the snake. They get the nutrients from a diet that can be based totally or partially on the consumption of meat.
Carnivorous animals are present throughout the animal kingdom . There are birds, mammals , reptiles , amphibians , fish and carnivorous insects .
Characteristics of carnivorous animals
- They are usually found at the top of the food chain .
- They have a digestive system suitable for assimilating meat, shorter than that of herbivores since it does not have to destroy the cellulose present in vegetables.
- Depending on the species, they have physical characteristics that allow them to capture and devour other animals: claws, heightened senses, night vision, developed teeth.
- They are important for the balance of the ecosystem , since they avoid the overpopulation of certain species .
Classification of carnivorous animals
Carnivorous animals can be classified according to the way in which they obtain food and according to the percentage of meat that they include in their diet.
According to the method used to obtain food:
- Carnivores hunters (or predators ) . They are animals that track their prey and hunt it on their own (alone or in a group). For example: the crocodile.
- Scavenger carnivores (or raptors). They are animals that feed on naturally dead prey or victims of a predator. For example: the raven.
According to the level of meat consumption in your diet:
- Strict carnivores. They are animals that feed exclusively on meat, since they do not have a digestive system suitable for consuming vegetables. For example: the tiger.
- Flexible carnivores. They are animals that eat mostly meat but can occasionally ingest vegetable matter in small amounts. For example: the hyena.
- Occasional carnivores. They are primarily omnivorous animals that can consume meat during a period of vegetable shortage. For example: the raccoon.
- It can serve you: Predators and their prey
Examples of carnivorous animals
Examples of carnivorous mammals
|Martha||Sperm whale||Siberian Tiger|
|Blue whale||Dolphin||Bengal tiger|
|Humpback Whale||Grizzly||Killer whale|
|Black Panther||Common gynet||Linsangs|
|European mink||Fishing bat||Tasmanian devil|
Examples of carnivorous reptiles
|Komodo dragon||Leopard gecko||Coral snake|
Examples of carnivorous birds
|Harpy eagle||Albatross||Griffon vulture|
|Fishing eagle||Seagull||Vulture vulture|
|Egyptian vulture||Owl||Gavilan smuggler|
Examples of carnivorous fish
|Tiger shark||Tollo cigar||Piranha|
|Basking shark||Bull shark||Barracuda|