The animals arthropods are invertebrate animals having a body formed by an exoskeleton (which is called the cuticle), and repeating segments jointed appendages. Arthropod animals can be: arachnids, insects , crustaceans and myriapods. For example: the spider, the fly, the crab and the centipede.
There are more than a million species of arthropod animals, so this phylum is considered the most numerous in the animal kingdom . The different species inhabit terrestrial, aquatic and aerial ecosystems .
- It can serve you: Echinoderms
Types of arthropod animals
- Arachnids . They are arthropod animals that have four pairs of legs, two tagmas and do not have wings or antennae. Most arachnids feed on insects, are oviparous and are present in all climates and regions of the world. For example: spiders, such as the crab spider, scorpions, such as the fat-tailed scorpion, and mites, such as the tick.
- Insects . They are arthropod animals that have three pairs of legs, two pairs of wings, and antennae. They are characterized by being the most abundant and diverse type of animal on the planet, they inhabit all types of climates and in terrestrial, water and aerial ecosystems. Depending on the case, they feed on vegetables, wood, feces and some parasitize other organisms. For example: Lepidoptera, such as the butterfly, Diptera, such as the fly, and Hymenoptera, such as the ant.
- Crustaceans . They are arthropod animals that have two pairs of antennae and many have the thorax protected in a shell. They are usually sea- dwelling animals , although some are freshwater and a few inhabit terrestrial ecosystems. There are crustaceans of different sizes that feed on dead animals, algae, other crustaceans, snails, eggs, among others. For example: crab, shrimp, water flea, and lobster.
- Myriapods. They are arthropod animals that have several pairs (even hundreds) of legs. They are characterized by having a long trunk divided into ringed segments, antennae and are often confused with insects. There are many species of myriapods and they all inhabit terrestrial ecosystems (especially in humid environments). Most feed on plants or other organisms in the process of decomposition. For example: centipedes, scolopendra and diplopods.
Examples of arthropod animals
There are more than 45,000 species of spiders.
The bee is an arthropod animal.
|Asian hornet||Monarch butterfly||Leaf insect|
- More in: Insects
Crabs are fresh and saltwater crustaceans.
|Amphipod||Norway lobster trunk||Moorish crab|
|Sea spider||Cricket Norway lobster||Cephalocarid|
|American lobster||Royal marine cricket||Lepas|
|Sand witch||Anchor worm||Mystacoccharide|