The adjectives are words used to give information about nouns (people, things, places or animals).
For example: The green ball . In this example, ball is the noun (the thing) and green is a qualifying adjective used to give information about the ball.
- It can help you: Nouns for children
Types of adjectives
There are many types of adjectives.
- Qualifying adjectives . They are adjectives that qualify, add or subtract value to the noun. For example: old house .
- Explanatory adjectives . They are adjectives that highlight the qualities of nouns and are generally placed before the noun. For example: big hills.
- Gentile adjectives . They are adjectives that serve to indicate the origin of someone or something. Unlike nouns, adjectives are not capitalized. For example: Albanian citizen (“Albania” is a proper noun and is written with a capital letter, but Albanian is a gentilicio adjective and is written with a lower case)
- Numeral adjectives . They are the adjectives that indicate a numerical quantity. They can be subclassified into: cardinals , ordinals , multiples and partitives . For example: two, half, double, third.
- Pronominal adjectives . They may be:
- Demonstrative adjectives . They are adjectives that serve to indicate the relationship of proximity or distance with something. For example: that house, that man.
- Possessive adjectives . They are adjectives that indicate who something belongs to. For example: my beloved , our children.
- Indefinite adjectives . They are adjectives that give information but not with precise data. For example: no child, ever .
- More in: Qualifying adjectives
|happy smile||fragile heart||bright smile|
|bitter cup||wet cheeks||soft sing|
|ferocious beast||painful moment||huge forehead|
|gentle horse||white snow||fearsome howl|
|expensive car||dark silence||horrible farewell|
|sweet wait||painful departure||famous sultan|
|harsh reality||deep bog||thick rain|
|green leaves||loud drum||green grass|
- More in: Explanatory adjectives
- More in: Gentile
|CARDINALS||ORDINALS||PARTITIVES AND MULTIPLES|
|one hundred||eleventh||a twelfth|
- More in: Numeral adjectives
|those||mine||both of them|
|these||you||a lot of|