Ponstan is a non-steroidal anti inflammatory, which helps in relieving pain, especially rheumatic pain and fever treatment.This medicine can be found in pharmacies under the names Mefenan and Pontin.
Indications Of Ponstan
PONSTAN is indicated for the symptomatic treatment of:
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Muscle pain, odontalgia, otalgia, headache and post-surgical pain;
- Flu and common respiratory infections ;
- Postpartum pain and primary dysmenorrhea;
- Dysfunctional menorrhagia (when other causes of pelvic pathology were excluded by the physician);
- Antipyretic in children over 14 years.
Ponstan Mode of Use
The use of Ponstan should be done orally by medical advice, and it is usually recommended 500 mg every 8 hours with meals.
Contraindication of Ponstan
Ponstan should not be used by people who:
- Have already had hypersensitivity ( allergy ) to the drug or to any component of the formula;
- Have allergy to acetylsalicylic acid or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) manifested by the appearance of bronchospasm (wheezing in the chest), rhinitis (inflammation of the nostril that causes the nose to flow “abundantly”) or reddened itchy skin;
- Have active ulcer or chronic inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract (in the esophagus, stomach and intestines);
- Have pain due to myocardial revascularization surgery.
- They have insufficiency (change in functioning) of the kidneys, liver or heart.
BEFORE YOU TAKE PONSTAN
Do not take Ponstan:
- if you are allergic ( hypersensitive ) to mefenamic acid or any of the other ingredients of Ponstan ;
- if you have a history of gastrointestinal bleeding or perforation related to previous NSAID therapy ;
- if you have peptic ulcer / active bleeding or peptic ulcer history / recurrent hemorrhage (two or more distinct episodes of ulcer tion or bleeding proven);
- when taking acetylsalicylic acid or other NSAIDs had symptoms of bronchospasm, allergic rhinitis, or urticaria ;
- if you have severe heart failure;
- if you have severe renal or hepatic impairment;
- if you are planning to become pregnant, if you are in the third trimester of pregnancy or if you are breast-feeding.
Side Effects OF Ponstan
Using this medication can cause constipation, drowsiness, diarrhea and nausea.There may be other side effects, such as changes to some blood parameters, allergic reactions, intolerance to glucose in diabetic patients, hyponatremia (low sodium levels), nervousness, somnolence, dizziness, headache,blurred vision, convulsions , insomnia, irritability eye , reversible loss of color.
Ponstan should not be given with certain medicines or substances without medical advice, such as alcohol, acetylsalicylic acid, anticoagulants, high blood pressure medicines, including diuretics, potassium-sparing diuretics and beta-blockers, ginko biloba, selective inhibitors of the receptors serotonin, hormonal and non-hormonal anti-inflammatories, cyclosporin, talicrom, oral hypoglycemic agents, lithium, or methotrexate together with antacids.