The Passiflora Flower (passionflower) is a plant that belongs to the family Passifloraceae that counts over 600 species. It is cultivated for decorative purposes because of its beautiful colors ranging from white to blue, and purple.The properties of passion flower have been known since ancient times, when it was used as a natural remedy to promote sleep.
This passion flower is usually used for the treatment and prevention of anxiety, distress and insomnia. It is rich in Vitamin C, and has a high refreshing power.It can also be useful in cases of asthma, palpitations, and high blood pressure.
What Is The Use of Passion Flower
Passionflower is used in the treatment of a wide variety of disorders. It is used for example:
- in case of insomnia
- in case of gastrointestinal problems associated with anxiety or nervousness and generalized anxiety disorder
- in the treatment of withdrawal symptoms during the period of detoxification by the use of narcotic drugs
- in the treatment of convulsions
- in the treatment of hysteria
- to cope with the symptoms of menopause
- in case of attention deficit / hyperactivity disorder, nervousness and excitability
- in case of palpitations, irregular heartbeat and high blood pressure
- in the treatment of fibromyalgia and pain
- in case of hemorrhoids, burns and swelling due to inflammation (topical application).
Contraindications and warnings of Passion Flower
Before taking Passiflora flower you should consult with your doctor, especially if:
- you are taking medications to treat hypertension (= high blood pressure).
- you take herbal remedies or supplements that can lower high blood pressure, such as coenzyme Q10 and fish oil.
- you take medicines and phytotherapics with a sedative effect (for example Valerian or St. John’s wort).
- in case of pregnancy or breastfeeding, because in these cases Passiflora is contraindicated.
- if you have to undergo surgery, because Passiflora can affect the functioning of the nervous system, increasing the effect of anesthetics and other drugs acting at the level of the brain. This is why it is generally advisable to NOT take products based on Passionflower starting at least two weeks before a scheduled intervention.